On the national scale, the community's health and wellbeing are imperative for our country's prosperity in terms of our social and economic wellbeing, workforce participation, productivity and overall welfare.
CSIRO's research platform in human health is focused to deliver positive impacts for Australians through:
Our research covers the prevention and early detection of cancers and neurological diseases, advanced nutrition and foods, medical information, imaging and biomaterials.
CSIRO plays a key role in Australia’s health research innovation chain through the ability to:
- conduct targeted research
- translate research into products and services
- complement the activities of the nation’s major health research providers.
As Australia’s population is ageing, we need to address the increasing costs associated with reduced participation in later life and chronic diseases associated with ageing.
CSIRO is working with partners in human health research to investigate:
- the effective use of health data in Australia
- advanced information and communication technology for use in human imaging and patient management
- new multidisciplinary approaches in early detection of disease
- ways to assess the effectiveness of health programs to combat health conditions, for example, obesity.
Through the development and adoption of health protocols, technologies and products, CSIRO can deliver a major positive impact for the health of our community.