Dr Megan Clark, Chief Executive and CSIRO Board member.
Dr Megan Clark: Chief Executive, CSIRO
Dr Megan Clark is the Chief Executive of CSIRO.
2 August 2011 | Updated 3 April 2013
Dr Megan Clark has been Chief Executive of CSIRO since January 2009 - Australia’s national science agency and one of the top 10 applied research organisations in the world. CSIRO is a mission-directed, multidisciplinary research and development organisation. Dr Clark is also a Principal of the Global Research Alliance [external link], of which CSIRO is a founding member.
Dr Clark began her career as a mine geologist and subsequently worked in mineral exploration, mine geology, R&D management, venture capital and technical strategy areas with Western Mining Corporation. She then became Vice President Technology with BHP Billiton, followed by Vice President, Health, Safety, Environment, Community and Sustainability.
Dr Clark is a member of the Prime Minister’s Science, Engineering and Innovation Council, as well as the Manufacturing Leaders Group. She is also a Commissioner on the International Commission on Sustainable Agriculture and Climate Change, a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering and a Fellow of the Institute of Company Directors.
Dr Megan Clark PhD, BSc, FTSE, GAICD
- Bachelor Science with Honours in Economic Geology from the University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia, 1981
- Doctor of Philosophy in Economic Geology from Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, 1987.
- CSIRO Chief Executive
- Member, Prime Minister's Science, Engineering and Innovation Council (PMSEIC)
- Member, Manufacturing Leaders Group
- Member, the Great Barrier Reef Foundation
- Member, Australia Advisory Board of the Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Trustee, Science Industry Endowment Fund
- Commissioner of the International Commission on Sustainable Agriculture and Climate Change
- Member, National Precincts Board
- Member, World Economic Forum, Global Agenda Council on measuring sustainability.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Ian Wark Research Institute for Particle Science
- Member, National Innovation Review Panel – Australia
- Member, National Research Infrastructure Council
- Vice President Health, Safety, Environment, Community and Sustainability, BHP Billiton
- Vice President Technology, BHP Billiton, 2003-08
- Director, NM Rothschild and Sons (Australia), 2001-03
- Member of the Australian Research Council Collaborative Grants Committee in the areas of engineering and geosciences
- Various positions with WMC Resources till 1999 culminating in Manager New Business Technology
- Member of Board of A J Parker Co-operative Research Centre
- Director, Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing
- Member of the CSIRO Minerals Sector Advisory Council
- Prime Minister’s Science Engineering Innovation Council – Working Group on China and India
- Member of the St Vincent's Hospital Foundation Board
- Panel Member, Automotive Industry Innovation Council.
- Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering
- Fellow of the Institute of Company Directors.
Awards and Honours
- Elected Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technology Science and Engineering, 2006
- Honorary Doctor of Science Degree awarded by University of WA, 2006.
- Honorary Doctor of Applied Science awarded by Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University, 2010.