Prediction of the motion of rocks and steel balls in a mill.
Careers in mathematics and statistics
CSIRO employs over 150 mathematical and information science staff to deliver solutions to business and industry.
6 December 2007 | Updated 14 October 2011
Our research is about applying mathematical and statistical expertise to capture, understand and make the best use of quantitative information.
As a mathematician or statistician at CSIRO, you could find yourself:
- optimising a fleet of patrol boats
- improving fluid animation for films
- finding ways to analyse health data while preserving privacy
- monitoring the health of a waterway
- assessing the risk of importing certain foods
- changing the way supply chains are managed
- creating surveillance technologies to provide early warnings of disease outbreaks
- using remotely sensed data to assess land use changes.
learn more about our research
Our researchers work within three main areas:
- Discovery bioinformatics and imaging research overview
- Decision technologies
- Environmental informatics.
Joining us as an undergraduate student
Each year CSIRO offers a number of paid vacation scholarships to university students who have completed third year with a credit average or better.
The vacation students spend their summer vacation working on a short-term research and developement (R&D) project.
We also offer a number of three-year scholarships to students commencing doctoral studies or Masters degrees by research, including 'top-up’ awards to an approved postgraduate scholarship.
Each year we offer a number of summer vacation scholarships to university students.
We also offer part-time work and study options.
Joining us as a researcher
CSIRO has offices in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane, most located on or near a major university campus.
Access to the best and latest technology, workplaces designed to foster creativity and collaboration, and excellent support services help our staff to realise their full potential and put their ideas into action.
- competitive remuneration packages, including a high performing superannuation scheme
- opportunities for further study
- opportunities to travel interstate and overseas to attend conferences and collaborate with other researchers and industrial partners.
Our conditions of employment include:
- a range of flexible work practices
- four weeks annual leave
- generous sick and personal leave provisions.
CSIRO is an equal opportunity employer.
Find out more information on CSIRO career opportunities and more on vacation scholarships.