BARLEYmax grain FAQs
Below are answers to frequently asked questions about BARLEYmax™ grain. The 'supergrain' is available to consumers in a range of products.
10 February 2011 | Updated 11 March 2013
What is BARLEYmax™ grain?
BARLEYmax grain is a natural wholegrain with enhanced nutritional benefits. This barley grain contains twice the dietary fibre of regular grains, four times the resistant starch and has a low GI.
For more information about the health benefits of BARLEYmax grain please refer to The BARLEYmax Better Nutrition Report available to download from: New BARLEYmax: high fibre wholegrain with resistant starch.
What products contain BARLEYmax grain?
Currently, there are three breakfast cereals, two porridge products, two cereal bars, one wrap product, one loaf bread, one rice blend product and one multiple purpose (sprinkle) product available containing BARLEYmax grain. These products are not manufactured by CSIRO.
Products manufactured by Goodness Superfoods:
- breakfast cereals: 'Protein 1st', 'Digestive 1st' and 'Heart 1st'
- porridges: ‘Traditional Barley + Oats 1st’ and ‘Quick Barley + Oats 1st’
- wholegrain barley wrap product: ‘Wholegrain Barley Wraps 1st’
- cereal bars: ‘FibreBoost 1st Cereal Bars – Apple Sultana’ and ‘FibreBoost 1st Cereal Bars –Cranberry Nut'
- multiple purpose product: 'FibreBoost sprinkles 1st'.
Products manufactured by Plus Nutrition:
- rice blend: RICE PLUS rice and wholegrains blend.
Products manufactured by Bodhi's Bakehouse:
- loaf bread: Barley, Honey and Oats Loaf.
Please contact the manufacturer for more information about the individual products.
Where can I purchase the products containing BARLEYmax grain?
Products manufactured by Goodness Superfoods are available from:
- Woolworths supermarkets
- Coles supermarkets
- selected health food stores
- independent supermarkets (e.g. IGA, Foodworks, Foodland and other independent stores)
- the online shop on the Goodness Superfoods website [external link].
Products manufactured by Plus Nutrition are available from:
- selected Woolworths supermarkets.
Products manufactured by Bodhi’s Bakehouse are available from:
Product availability can vary across the country, so we recommend you speak with your local supermarket manager to determine the supply situation at your local supermarket. You can also contact the product manufacturer.
Where can I find further information about the currently available products containing BARLEYmax grain?
These products are not manufactured by CSIRO. More information about the range of products containing BARLEYmax grain is available from the manufacturer of the respective products.
Who is growing BARLEYmax grain in Australia?
CSIRO has licensed Austgrains Pty Ltd to manage the production and supply of BARLEYmax grain to Australian and New Zealand food manufacturers. More information can be found at the Austgrains website [external link].
Does BARLEYmax grain contain gluten?
All barley contains gluten. Therefore products containing BARLEYmax grain are not suitable for people with coeliac disease.
Is BARLEYmax grain available on its own to add to my recipes?
The BARLEYmax grain is now available in its raw format as the multiple purpose product called FibreBoost – Sprinkles manufactured by Goodness Superfoods.
Learn more about CSIRO's research into Grains.