Browse by subject
Browse by Business Unit
Facilities and collections
More about CSIRO
Avaliable language options:
Since we started life as the Advisory Council of Science and Industry in 1916, we’ve advanced Australia with a range of inventions and innovations that have had significant positive impact on the lives of people around the world.
Over nearly a century, we've been improving the lives of people everywhere with our science. We've listed a brief history here, but you can find more extensive information in our CSIROpedia.
The Advisory Council of Science and Industry was located here, at 314 Albert Street, East Melbourne.
In 1916, the Australian Government established the Advisory Council of Science and Industry as the first step towards a 'national laboratory'. By 1920, this had evolved into the Institute for Science and Industry under an Act of the Federal Parliament. In 1926, this Act was revised to form the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
The headquarters of all three institutions were established in a commonwealth government property at 314 Albert Street East Melbourne (pictured). The first research investment by the Advisory Council was 250 pounds in the 1915/16 financial year in partnership with the Queensland and New South Wales Governments to explore control measures for the prickly pear pest that was invading millions of acres of agricultural land in eastern Australia.
The primary purpose of the Advisory Council of Science and Industry, the Institute of Science and Industry and the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) remained consistent and this purpose continues largely unchanged in the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) to this day. That is, to initiate and conduct scientific research to assist in the development of the primary and secondary industries of Australia: farming, mining and manufacturing being the focus in the early years. By the end of its first full year of operations in 1927, the CSIR had 53 staff located in all six Australian states.
The entrance of the building, C.S.I.R. (and later CSIRO) Division of Animal Nutrition, Kintore Avenue, Adelaide, South Australia.
During the 1930s and 1940s, research was conducted in the fields of:
The onset of World War II (1939-45), saw the Council conducting research to assist the Australian Defence Forces, in areas such as radar.
After World War II ended, CSIR research expanded to include areas such as:
In 1949, CSIR ceased all defence work for the military and was renamed CSIRO, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation.
Over the following decades, we've expanded our activities to almost every field of primary, secondary and tertiary industry, including the environment, human nutrition, conservation, urban and rural planning, and water.
In 2014 we simplified our operations, making it easier to do business with industry and maximising the impact of our science. We now operate through three lines of business:
We continued to provide Australians with world-class scientific facilities:
The RV Investigator
We developed new and innovative solutions to benefit people everywhere:
And we released more world-first research to tackle the challenges of the future:
We'll continue to shape the future by using our science to solve real issues and make a difference to industry, people and the planet.
Have an enquiry about this page?
Have a question? Contact us using the form below, or call 1300 363 400 during business hours , or start a live chat with us nowor check out our frequent enquiries.
Last updated: Last updated: 25 November 2015
Printed from: Our history (http://csiroaucd1-cdc.it.csiro.au/en/About/History-achievements/Our-history)