Our long association with European organisations has grown to include major multi-national companies, universities, government research agencies and the European Commission’s science and research programs. This includes work in France, Germany, Italy, the UK, the Netherlands and Finland.
Europe is a key partner region for CSIRO, both in relation to basic scientific research and for commercialisation and applications of our industrial research.
CSIRO in France
CSIRO maintains a small laboratory for biosecurity research at the Agropolis International Campus at Baillarguet, Montferrier-sur-Lez, on the outskirts of Montpellier in France.
Collaboration partners in Europe
Collaboration with European partners covers nearly all areas of CSIRO’s research, but particularly:
- food processing
- solar energy technology
- materials science and engineering
- marine, agricultural and environmental sciences
- radio astronomy
- space science
- information and communications technology
- mining technology.
Key European partner organisations include:
- Bayer CropScience (Germany)
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS – France)
- Clextral (France)
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR - Italy)
- EU Joint Research Centre
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft (Germany)
- Groupe Limagrain (France)
- Helmholtz Association (Germany)
- Imperial College London
- Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA – France)
- Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy (Germany)
- TNO (Netherlands)
- UK Met Office
- Vilmorin & Cie (France)
- VTT (Finland).
CSIRO also works with European partners in other parts of the world, including in the Pacific and Africa.
CSIRO hosts Masters and post-graduate students each year from a range of institutions across Europe.
CSIRO is part of many EU-funded Seventh Framework Programme projects, and is part of consortia bidding for Horizon 2020 projects. Projects include:
- NextGen - Next generation methods to preserve farm animal biodiversity by optimizing present and future breeding options (2010-2014)
- OPENIOT - Open Source blueprint for large scale self-organizing cloud environments for IoT applications (2011-2014)
- SAPH PANI - Enhancement of natural water systems and treatment methods for safe and sustainable water supply in India (2011-2014).
- ADAPTAWHEAT - Genetics and physiology of wheat development to flowering: tools to breed for improved adaptation and yield potential (2012-2015)
- EPPN - European Plant Phenotyping Network (2012-2015)
- NUTRITECH - Application of new technologies and methods in nutrition research the example of phenotypic flexibility (2012-2015)
- RADIONET3 - Advanced Radio Astronomy in Europe (2012-2015)
- TOPS - Technology Options for Coupled Underground Coal Gasification and CO2 Capture and Storage (2013-2016)
- MyNewGut - Microbiome Influence on Energy balance and Brain Development-Function Put into Action to Tackle Diet-related Diseases and Behaviour (2013-2018)
- MareFrame - Co-creating Ecosystem-based Fisheries Management Solutions (2014-2017)
- HiPerCap - High-Performance Capture (2014-2017).
- STAGE-STE - Scientific and Technological Alliance for Guaranteeing the European Excellence in Concentrating Solar Thermal Energy (2014-2018)
- AU2EU - Authentication and Authorisation for Entrusted Unions (2014-2018).