We have long-standing partnerships in North Asia, which allow us to connect with researchers and increase the impact of our work. This includes work in China, Japan and Korea.
Our collaboration with North Asian partners goes back many decades, and collaboration has increased dramatically with the strong economic growth of this region.
Our partnership with the Chinese Academy of Sciences has resulted in a program of jointly funded research projects and staff exchanges. In addition, we host a large number of students each year through the China Scholarship Council. We also benefit from funding provided by the joint Australian China Science and Research Fund.
A number of CSIRO-Japan activities are funded with the assistance of fellowships and grants provided jointly by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science and The Japan Foundation.
Our relationships with Korea are mostly in their early stages, but there is great potential for increased collaboration with Korean industry, research organisations and universities.
40 years of collaboration with China
We have been working with China for 40 years. Our longest-standing partner in that time has been the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), who first visited CSIRO in 1975. Together, we have created great benefits for both our countries through research collaborations, staff exchanges and new innovations. To mark our anniversary, we built an interactive timeline to showcase the milestones in our 40 years of partnership.
Collaboration partners in North Asia
Our North Asian collaborators include:
- BaoSteel, China
- China Huaneng Group
- China Northern Rail
- China Three Gorges Corporation
- Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences
- Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology
- Furukawa Battery Company, Japan
- Hebei Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Science, China
- Hochiki Corporation, Japan
- Huainan Coal Mining Group (HCMG), China
- Idemitsu Kosan, Japan
- Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
- Japan Coal Energy Centre
- Japan Space Systems
- Korea Carbon Capture and Sequestration R&D Centre (KCRC)
- Korea Institute of Energy Research (KIER)
- Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources (KIGAM)
- Korea Institute of Industrial Technology (KITECH)
- Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST)
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA)
- Korea Rural Development Authority (KRDA)
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Japan
- National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Japan
- National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, Japan
- New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO), Japan
- SCL Healthcare Group.
CSIRO also partners with many universities, including:
- China Agricultural University
- East China Normal University
- Keio University, Japan
- Kobe University, Japan
- Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
- Kunming University of Technology, China
- Kyoto University, Japan
- Nagoya University, Japan
- Seoul National University, Korea
- Shanghai Jiaotong University, China
- Tohoku University, Japan
- Tokyo University, Japan
- Tsinghua University, China.