The following section provides an overview of our commitment to Parliament and the people of Australia as set out in the 2013-14 Portfolio Budget Statement.
CSIRO received approximately 63 per cent of its operating revenue in appropriation funding from the Commonwealth Budget. Our commitment to the Parliament and people of Australia, set out in the 2013–14 Portfolio Budget Statements (PBS), is to contribute to the following outcome1.
Innovative scientific and technological solutions to national challenges and opportunities to benefit industry, the environment and the community, through scientific research and capability development, services and advice.
Fundamental to this outcome is our focus on:
- maintaining science excellence
- establishing strong connections with top global research and technology peers
- enhancing industry alliances through Flagships to actively encourage the application and adoption of our research
- building, maintaining and making available research infrastructure, including national scientific facilities and collections
- actively fostering collaboration with other parts of the National Innovation System, including other publically funded research agencies and universities
- promoting and supporting the science sector by supervising undergraduate and postgraduate students, conducting science education programs for school students and teachers and raising community awareness of our activities and science.
This is achieved through five Programs:
- National Research Flagships
- Core Research and Services
- Science Outreach: Education and Scientific Publishing
- National Research Infrastructure: National Facilities and Collections
- Science and Industry Endowment Fund
The following sections provide a report against the deliverables and key performance indicators specified for each Program in the PBS. Table 2.2 outlines a summary of our consolidated financial performance by PBS Program.
|Program 1 (National Research Flagships)||745.8||755.9||-10.1|
|Program 2 (Core Research and Services)||327.6||332.1||-4.5|
|Program 3 (Science Outreach: Education and Scientific Publishing)||34.1||34.6||-0.5|
|Program 4 (National Research Infrastructure: National Facilities and Collections)||152.0||154.1||-2.1|
|Program 5 (Science and Industry Endowment Fund)||23.7||23.3||0.4|
- The relevant section of the Portfolio Budget Statements can be viewed at: www.industry.gov.au . The outcome is the formal legal statement of the purpose for which funds are appropriated to CSIRO