If your goal is creating manufactured value-added food products that are cost efficient and appealing to consumers then CSIRO can help.
How we help industry develop manufactured food products
We help companies:
- problem-solve formulation and processing issues in complex food products
- interchange ingredients to optimise cost or functionality, for example, and shorten product ingredient lists
- reduce salt, sugar and fat and increase fibre and other functional ingredients without impacting on product quality and sensory perception
- develop bioactive delivery systems such as microencapsulation for opportunities in novel or functional foods
- optimise and design processes for safety and efficiency gains
- undertake consumer preference mapping and sensory evaluation of food products to identify new markets
- conduct food safety risk assessments and management protocols.
We also advise companies on health claims of products such as functional foods and we assist in health claim substantiation using our pre-clinical and clinical expertise and facilities.
Our scientists have the world class food science, sensory and nutritional expertise, facilities and technologies necessary to support value add product and process development of consumer goods including:
- soups, sauces and dips
- spreads and margarines
- ready to eat meals and meals solutions
- ice cream and yoghurts
- snacks and bars
Companies can be certain that their work with us is totally confidential.
Our key resources for developing manufactured food products
Key CSIRO food innovation centre resources available for industry include:
- our $50m world-class food manufacturing pilot plant in Werribee, Victoria, around 3000 m2 in size with a range of conventional and innovative processing technologies and equipment and the joint Queensland Government/CSIRO food pilot plant in Brisbane, Queensland
- expertise and facilities in material science for textural and structural characterisation of ingredients and food products and in analytical chemistry for chemical analyses of foods and products
- expertise and facilities in consumer preference mapping and sensory evaluation
- pre-clinical and clinical expertise and clinics.
To discuss innovation opportunities in consumer goods for your business, contact
CSIRO's food innovation centre
Do business with us to help your organisation thrive
We partner with small and large companies, government and industry in Australia and around the world.