CSIRO's food innovation centre explores the science of milk to create commercial opportunities for new dairy products.
How we help the dairy industry innovate
Our specialists in dairy chemistry and physics, food technology, process engineering and advanced separations help companies:
- investigate and understand variation in the composition and structure of milk and the impact this may have on product quality and processing efficiency
- develop technologies, strategic knowledge and intellectual property in value-added dairy products through our knowledge of the whole of the dairy value chain - from farm gate to nutrition
- develop new products that retain fresh-like characteristics by using novel technologies such as high pressure processing, pulsed electric field, ultrasound, ultraviolet and short-time heat processing
- understand the interactions between consumers and dairy products to develop strategies for high-value, flavoursome and nutritious products
- add value to dairy by-products, waste streams and oversupply using extraction, separation, concentration and stabilisation of specialised ingredients.
- make recommendations on strategies for whole produce and elaborately transformed products using nutritional and health technology reviews
- characterise dairy ingredients for nutritional, functional and health attributes for optimal end-product performance.
Dairy industry case study: proving provenance
CSIRO has recently developed tools to determine the chemical fingerprint of Victorian milk powders and provide objective verification of their provenance by measuring chemical characteristics on whole milk powders and casein fractions from several different major dairying regions.
These tools are not limited to milk powders but can be applied to any primary produce.
We have used these tools to determine the provenance of other dairy products as well including Cheddar cheese and bioactive protein ingredient extracted from cheese whey to help major Australian dairy company differentiate their products from competitors in domestic and international markets.
Key resources available to industry
Key CSIRO resources available for industry include:
- experienced scientific and engineering staff with long-term involvement in dairy science plus expertise in product and process development including the manufacture of a wide range of dairy products, thermal processing, separation, drying, extrusion, innovative technologies (such as high pressure processing, ultrasound, microwave and pulsed electric field) and process systems modelling
- high-end analytical capabilities for determining dairy component composition and structure and their effect on perceived texture and sensory properties
- dedicated sensory laboratory, with ten individual testing booths, fully equipped kitchen and automated data acquisition software
- food product development kitchens and laboratories for conducting food technology trials
- extensive pilot processing facilities and equipment in Melbourne and Brisbane where we can evaluate most dairy processing activities.
To discuss opportunities in dairy innovation for your business, contact
CSIRO's food innovation centre
Do business with us to help your organisation thrive
We partner with small and large companies, government and industry in Australia and around the world.