If your goal is creating differentiated food products, process efficiency, waste utilisation, supply chain sustainability or incorporating bioactives, our process engineering team can help.
How we help industry in process engineering innovation
We help companies:
- optimise and design processes for microbial inactivation, enzyme activation or inactivation and modification or restructuring of protein, fats and starch through scientific experimentation, multiphysics modelling and validation
- manufacture high-value ingredients by extraction and enrichment from complex product waste streams using separation science
- incorporate, stabilise and enhance efficacy of bioactives in food products while ensuring consumer acceptability
- design systems for pest disinfestation and disease control in significant horticultural products using novel technologies such as microwave, ultrasound and high pressure processing as chemical free alternatives to current quarantine measures
- undertake product life cycle assessments to understand resource utilisation, raw material flow and transformation along the food supply chain to find more sustainable and wholesome ways of producing food to feed the world.
Our scientists have the world class food process engineering expertise and facilities necessary to support product and process development in:
- fruit and vegetables
- bioactive ingredients.
Companies can be certain that their work with us is totally confidential.
Process engineering case study: Murray Goulburn Cooperative
Twenty years ago, Murray Goulburn Co-operative Ltd was producing about 35,000 tonnes of cheese per year. However, they were using only 10–15 per cent of the residual whey, mainly as pig feed.
Murray Goulburn worked with CSIRO's scientists to develop a chromatographic system that has allowed the company to treble its cheese production each year. Even better, they commercialised protein ingredients from the bi-product streams and are now able to use 90 per cent of the whey in valuable manufactured products such as the billion dollar sports foods and beverages and meal replacement markets in North America.
Our key process engineering resources available to industry
Key CSIRO resources available for industry include:
- our $50m world-class food manufacturing pilot plant in Werribee, Victoria, around 3000 m2 in size with a range of conventional and innovative processing technologies and equipment and the joint Queensland Government/CSIRO food pilot plant in Brisbane, Queensland
- scientific and engineering staff with expertise in process development, drying, thermal processing, separation, extrusion, postharvest technology, innovative technology (high pressure processing, ultrasound, microwave and pulse electric field) and process and systems modelling
- supporting expertise in sensory evaluation, chemical analyses, food safety assurance, nutrition assessments, clinical trials and more.
To discuss innovation opportunities in process engineering for your business, contact
Welcome to CSIRO's food innovation centre
Do business with us to help your organisation thrive
We partner with small and large companies, government and industry in Australia and around the world.