CSIRO helped Victorian company AW Bell expand its business in metal casting and move on to become the preferred supplier for a major international aerospace company.
Technical challenges to expansion into the aerospace industry
AW Bell is a Victorian-based, family-owned and operated manufacturing business that has been supplying metal parts in Australia for over 50 years.
In 2010, AW Bell was presented with an opportunity to enter a new export market within the aerospace sector. In order for AW Bell to address technical requirements, they needed to improve their casting process.
Although the company had extensive knowledge in the aluminium casting field, they recognised the need for high calibre expertise and equipment to improve their performance.
Developing a new metal casting process
To improve their aluminium casting process, they reached out to materials expert Dr Roger Lumley. AW Bell’s Chief Executive Officer, Andrew Meek said Roger brought a mix of theory, experience and practical hands-on capability to the project.
Now the preferred supplier to North American aerospace
- “We worked exceptionally well together and achieved far more from the collaboration with CSIRO than we initially expected… The entire project has been extremely beneficial and I have personally found it very rewarding,” said Mr Meek.
- A new technique for metal processing was developed.
- The finished product had superior physical properties to competitors’ products.
- This improved product will enable AW Bell customers in the defence and aerospace industries to achieve greater weight reduction.
- As a result of this project, AW Bell have become the preferred supplier to a major international company within the aerospace industry.
This project was supported by the Department of Industry and Science Researchers in Business program, which was an Australian Government initiative which provided funding to support the placement of researchers directly into businesses to help them develop and implement new commercial ideas.
Interested in this solution for your organisation?
We offer services and contract-based research to clients in business, industry and government.