We offer a range of licensing options and approaches which can be tailored to different situations. Find out how you can license CSIRO's technologies and solutions.
Our technology in your organisation
We can provide your organisation access to innovative solutions and new technologies to help you grow and compete. Licensing with CSIRO grants you access to already developed or emerging CSIRO solutions which can be adapted to suit your organisation.
We recognise that licensing is not a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach and we work to understand your organisation and provide you with support from our scientific experts and commercial professionals to help you get the best outcomes.
In some cases our technology or solution may not be commercially ready or proven at scale. If this is the case we can work with you to transfer the required knowledge and skills, further develop the technology or define a business plan.
What to expect when licensing CSIRO technology
We have a lot of experience in managing intellectual property and technology and we understand what it takes to realise commercial outcomes from technology.
- Our commercial professionals provide support every step of the way.
- We work through agreeable terms for both parties.
- We look to see if your business has the right resources and if you have a clear plan for what you want to do with the technology.
- We look for a fair share of the benefits you achieve from the technology, which might be through upfront fees, milestone payments, royalties or equity (or a mix thereof).
- We make the relevant technology and knowledge available to you for specific purposes and uses.
Working with CSIRO Intellectual Property
What is Intellectual Property?
Intellectual Property (IP) is any knowledge or invention which can be legally protected. In the course of our research, CSIRO generates many different types of IP including patents, plant breeder’s rights and copyrights.
What you need to know about working with CSIRO IP
We understand the challenges that can arise when working with other organisations’ IP, as it's something we deal with every day. We look to establish a clear understanding up front about how we can work together and we put in place arrangements that are fit for purpose. We also provide advice and guide you through the process.
Ultimately we want our IP to go to the best possible home. That’s why we’re supportive of others taking ownership and control over our IP where they are better placed to manage and maximise its outcomes. We do not always look to own the IP we generate through research with other parties.
What to expect when working with CSIRO IP
- We look for partners that will help convert IP into real outcomes and impact for Australia.
- We will work with your organisation to set clear expectations on how both parties will interact with and make decisions about our IP.
- When we provide access to our IP, we generally retain the ability to continue further research in that area.
- Ownership of the IP we generate together will be granted to the party best placed to manage it and maximise results from it.
CSIRO has ten IP principles which guide how we generate impact from our intellectual property.
Do business with us to help your organisation thrive
We partner with small and large companies, government and industry in Australia and around the world.