CSIRO Lab is a science education partnership between BHP Billiton, CSIRO and Scitech
CSIRO Lab, located within Scitech in Perth, delivers hands on workshops for schools in Western Australia.
Activities highlight the practical applications of science and technology, use specialist equipment and are relevant, current and linked to the Australian Curriculum.
The Australian Curriculum areas covered are:
- Science Inquiry Skills
- Science as a Human Endeavour
- Chemical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Earth and Space Sciences
- ICT General Capability
- Digital Technologies
- Media Arts
- Visual Arts.
Activities are designed for students in Years 4 to 12 and come with handy pre-visit notes to make your visit easy and successful.
Current workshops offered at CSIRO Lab
Workshops currently on offer include:
- Slime time: Particle behaviour and properties of materials.
- Animation science: The science and history behind stop motion animation.
- CSI: Use science inquiry skills to investigate evidence.
- Digital microscopy: Explore living things and their specialised functions and adaptations.
- How bizarre: Use scientific knowledge to test some bizarre phenomenon.
- littleBits designers: Design a functional contraption.
- Earth cycles: How science provides the basis of decisions that can impact the balance of Earth's systems.
- Chemists at work: Be real geochemists and learn about mineral resources.
- Edison Robotics: Learn how robots are programmed to complete a task.
- Light, energy, action: Put physical science in motion exploring forces, energy and light.
Make a CSIRO Lab booking
Teachers in Western Australia can book online or calling +61 8 92150740.
CSIRO Lab is a science education partnership between BHP Billiton, CSIRO and Scitech.