Meeting Australia’s minerals exploration challenges
CSIRO is a world leader in developing new techniques and insights to help find targets buried under sediments, beneath Australia's ancient blanket of deeply weathered rock and even under the ocean.
30 November 2009 | Updated 14 October 2011
CSIRO bases the majority of its exploration research at the Australia Resources Research Centre in Perth. Specific aspects of exploration research are also conducted in Sydney and Melbourne.
Areas of expertise
CSIRO is an integral part of the Australian exploration industry with a record of accomplishment for delivering innovative science and practical solutions.
CSIRO offers a wide range of world class skills and services in geoscience.
- Computation geoscience:
- Geology and geochemistry:
- world-leading expertise in regolith geology and geochemistry
- hydrogeochemistry applied to mineral exploration
- role of biological processes (biogeochemistry, plant physiology, microbiology) in metal transport through cover, and application of this knowledge to mineral exploration
- utilisation of advanced microanalytical techniques and experimental geochemistry (e.g. Synchrotron) to understand regolith processes, metal transport in plants, and ore forming processes
- use of shallow electrical methods for mapping regolith boundaries and top of basement
- mineralogy, petrology and ore deposit geology of gold and base metal systems
- marine geology and exploration strategies
- Mineral and environmental sensing:
- engineering development and construction of airborne and ground-based sensing equipment
- development and validation of algorithms and software for extracting mineralogical information; and environmental information from hyperspectral data
- understanding the fundamental behaviour of mineral spectroscopy
- applications knowledge of the value of the measured data for high impact opportunities for Australia (exploration geology, geophysics, biology, regolith and soil science).
Accessing the capability
CSIRO has extensive links with the exploration industry and the related research community to ensure our research is targeted directly towards industry needs.
We work with stakeholders through the Minerals Down Under Flagship to provide solutions to real industry challenges.
Clients can enter into a number of different business arrangements with CSIRO including:
- commercial services
- research partnerships
- industry-funded consortiums
- major strategic research alliances
- secondments and staff/student exchange programs.
Read more about CSIRO Petroleum Resources.