Examining an agar dish for bacterial colonies as part of the bioremediation project.
Ecosystem Sciences PhD program
The PhD program at CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences offers a range of opportunities for university students interested in enzymology and synthetic biology and ecological and evolutionary genomics.
2 October 2009 | Updated 16 September 2013
Doing a PhD at CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences
Ecosystem Sciences PhD Program
- Postgraduate research topics currently available
- Ecosystem Sciences PhD program.
The PhD Program at CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences offers a range of opportunities for university students interested in:
- Enzymology and synthetic biology
- Ecological and evolutionary genomics.
You will experience world-class facilities and work alongside Australia's leading scientists.
Ecosystem Sciences Division has research staff in multiple locations across Australia and when available, PhD opportunities may be offered in Canberra, Melbourne and Perth.
PhD students are co-supervised by a university, allowing students to maintain and develop their university connections while being exposed to research in a working environment.
There are several ways of determining eligibility to undertake a PhD with CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences:
- If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or an Australian permanent resident, you are eligible to apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) or equivalent university award from an Australian university. Please see university websites for details. Top-up stipends are available.
- Under some conditions (e.g. for specific industry-funded projects) CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences may offer full PhD scholarships that are open to overseas students as well as Australian citizens or permanent residents. Details of such offers, when they occur, may be found at the CSIRO careers web site.
- Full and top-up scholarships are often available through the OCE (Office of the Chief Executive) Science Team Postgraduate Scholarship Program. These scholarships provide the student with a full or top-up stipend. These scholarships are advertised nationally in October/November each year.
Find out more about Ecosystem Sciences.