Mr Gary Morgan, Director, Business and International, CSIRO ICT Centre.
Mr Gary Morgan: Director, Business and International, CSIRO ICT Centre
Mr Gary Morgan focuses on fostering business development and commercialisation opportunities, as well as strategic international engagement.
11 July 2011 | Updated 14 October 2011
Mr Gary Morgan has more than 30 years experience in the public and private sector in roles including:
- senior executive
- change management
- commercialisation of technology research and product development
- business development
- project management.
Mr Morgan fosters business development and commercialisation opportunities
stemming from research at CSIRO's ICT Centre, as well as managing the
Centre's strategic international engagement activities.
Outside CSIRO, Mr Morgan is an Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Sciences and
Technology at the Queensland University of Technology.
Immediately prior to his current appointment, Mr Morgan was Deputy
Director of CSIRO's ICT Centre where he oversaw the Centre's A$64 million
dollar budget and managed operational areas in support of science.
Mr Morgan joined CSIRO in 2003 as the founding Chief Executive Officer of
the Australian e-Health Research Centre (AEHRC), a position he held until
2009. Mr Morgan grew the AEHRC to a staff of more than 60 researchers,
software engineers and doctoral students.
Before joining CSIRO, Mr Morgan was founding CEO and President of Wedgetail Communications, a US-based spin-off company from the Cooperative Research Centre for Distributed Systems Technology. Wedgetail's identity management solutions were deployed in leading global financial services firms, technology corporations and government agencies.
He was also Queensland State Manager, Tandem Computer and Compaq Computer (Hewlett Packard), Brisbane, Australia.
Mr Morgan is a graduate of the Senior Executive Program of Melbourne Business School at The University of Melbourne.
Mr Morgan has also been awarded a:
- Master of Business Administration (International), Brisbane Graduate School of Business, Queensland University of Technology, 1999
- Graduate Diploma in Commercial Computing, Queensland University of Technology, 1990
- Bachelor of Commerce, Griffith University, 1988.
In 2008, Mr Morgan completed CSIRO’s senior leadership development program, Leading the Research Enterprise, which was run in conjunction with the Australian Graduate School of Management.
Mr Morgan has received awards including:
- Research Achievement, CSIRO ICT Centre, 2010
- Innovation, CSIRO ICT Centre, 2009
- Leadership, CSIRO ICT Centre, 2005
- Go For Growth, CSIRO, 2004
- Rising Star, Deloitte Technology Fast 50, 2002
- Outstanding Alumni, Faculty of Information Technology, Queensland University of Technology, 2002.
Mr Morgan sits on the boards of the following organisations:
- Australian e-Health Research Centre
- Australian Research Centre for Aerospace Automation.
He is also a member of:
- the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Cancer Australia National Data Strategy Advisory Group.
Find out more about the CSIRO ICT Centre.