Skills and expertise
CSIRO’s Surface Water Hydrology Research Program has more than 50 surface water hydrologists with expertise in hydrological science, hydroclimatology, hydrological modelling, river system modelling and irrigation hydrology. The program’s skills and expertise include:
- catchment hydrology – understanding catchment-scale and regional-scale hydrological processes in relation to changes to land cover and climate; reducing predictive uncertainty of streamflow and water storages and fluxes in catchments and over large regions
- climate impact on water – characterising hydroclimate variability and non-stationarity; predicting climate impact on streamflow characteristics and catchment water yield
- streamflow forecasting – improving operational flood and continuous flow forecasting; improving probabilistic seasonal streamflow forecasting
- river system modelling – developing standard modelling platforms for integrated river systems modelling to underpin water planning and management across Australia
- irrigation hydrology – improving irrigation demand prediction and irrigation water use efficiency; hydroeconomic modelling and integrated planning for large river basins.