CSIRO and EMBL Interaction Scheme: call for applications
This is a call for CSIRO and The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) staff to apply for funding to support their interaction.
21 February 2011 | Updated 13 March 2013
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is Australia's national science agency and one of the largest and most diverse research agencies in the world.
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is Europe's flagship laboratory for basic research in molecular biology.
EMBL is at the forefront of innovation in life sciences research, technology development and transfer, housing expertise that covers the whole spectrum of molecular biology.
CSIRO is strengthening its ability to sustainably deliver benefits from bioscience research.
As part of that, it seeks to foster linkages that will enable CSIRO and allied institutions to thrive in the 'omics era'.
CSIRO also seeks to make the most of Australia’s status as the first Associate Member of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and is actively engaged with EMBL and EMBL Australia towards that end.
This is a call for joint applications for funds to support CSIRO-EMBL interaction.
What will we consider funding?
We will consider:
- Applications for funding related to travel and accommodation
- Applications that increase interactions between CSIRO and EMBL staff
- Only applications from CSIRO and EMBL staff
- Only joint applications—there must be documented agreement between visitor and host
- Applications that relate to scientific collaboration—these activities will be reviewed post-visit
- Applications that relate to other forms of scientific interaction.
We will not consider:
- Applications that do not comply with the guidelines and format of the pro-forma
- Applications that seek funds solely to attend scientific meetings.
The application process
Please email the completed pro-forma, plus CVs of host and visitor, to TransformationalBiologySubmissions@csiro.au.
This scheme is currently open on an ongoing basis.
The evaluation process
Applications will be evaluated by the:
- Director General of EMBL
- Leaders of CSIRO’s Transformational Biology initiative.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of their likely:
- scientific impact
- impact on the capabilities of CSIRO and EMBL
- impact on relationships between CSIRO and EMBL, Australia and Europe.
Evaluation will necessarily take into account the ability to meet the funds requested.
Communication of decisions
- The result of evaluations will be brief.
- Information about successful applicants will be publicised on CSIRO, EMBL and EMBL Australia websites.
- Award recipients should be prepared to present at CSIRO or EMBL events.
- Interactions supported under this scheme will be reviewed by CSIRO and EMBL.
Management of this scheme
This scheme is managed by
- David Lovell and Mark Morrison, Leaders of CSIRO’s Transformational Biology initiative
- Silvio Tiziani, EMBL Australia Executive Director.
Download an application form at CSIRO-EMBL Interaction Support Proposal.