Professor Eleanor Gates-Stuart.
Professor Eleanor Gates-Stuart
Professor Eleanor Gates-Stuart's diverse background spans academic research, science communication and media arts, with successful tenure in higher education leadership, design, project management and cultural arts.
27 April 2012 | Updated 7 March 2013
Professor Eleanor Gates-Stuart works in the field of professional arts research and leadership. She has a significant international and national reputation in arts practice and education, and a profound commitment to linkage partnerships, research and training, working in Australia, Asia, USA and the United Kingdom.
Adherence to learning enterprise and pedagogical development is integral to her passion for teaching and learning, particularly in the cultural and creative sector and the alliance of science and business.
Professor Gates-Stuart's current activities include:
- CSIRO Science Art Fellow: Transformational Biology – Bioinformatics and Analytics, Mathematics, Informatics and Statistics (CMIS)
- Centenary of Canberra Science Art Commission 2013 supported by the ACT Government and Australian Government
- StellrScope: deep and intense scrutiny of the remarkable physical and biochemical traits of organisms in physical plant structures. A connection to wheat-growing, from William Farrer through to the modern era
- Finger Codes: human fingerprints are translated into numerical symbols, coded through drawings and symbolic data
- Honorary Research Professor Art Department, Division of Arts, University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC)
- Researcher: Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science, Faculty of Science, Australian National University (ANU).
In the past Professor Gates-Stuart has worked on:
- Biosecurity Communication: design research for the Australian Biosecurity Intelligence Network (ABIN), CSIRO
- Researching New Visual Techniques for Effective Communication of Information Communication Technology Innovation Across a Variety of Delivery Channels and Media. PhD Research, Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science (CPAS), ANU
- Complexity: Visiting Researcher, National ICT Australia Limited (NICTA), Australian Research Centre of Excellence: e-Government Initiative.
Professor Gates-Stuart has been awarded a:
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Fine Art: Printmaking - Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom (UK)
- Master of Arts Printmaking: Chelsea School of Art, The University of the Arts, London, UK
- Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Australian National University
- Doctor of Philosophy Candidate: Visual Communication, Faculty of Science, Australian National University.
Professor Gates-Stuart achievements include:
- Honorary Research Professor University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC), Division of Arts, Baskin Visual Arts
- Assistant Professor University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) Division of Arts, Baskin Visual Arts
- Academic fellow Australian National University College of Arts & Social Sciences (CASS), Faculty of Arts
- Taiwan Visiting Research Scholar, Ministry of Education, Taiwan
- Head, Centre for New Media Arts (CNMA), Australian National University
- Head of Design, Principal Lecturer in the Faculty of Arts & Technology University of Lincoln, Hull School of Art & Design UK.
Learn more about Smart statistics for bioinformatics.