CSIRO and Monash University are addressing the big challenges facing super funds into the future.
Funds for the Future
While each of us wants to benefit from our own super in our retirement, we also want to see our consolidated super benefit Australia’s economy.
Australia has over $1300B of superannuation funds invested. The challenge is to use these funds in ways that best meet our society’s long term needs as well as meet the needs of individuals in their retirement.
Researchers from CSIRO and Monash University have formed The Superannuation Research Alliance to address some of the big challenges in managing Australia’s multi-billion dollar superannuation system.
The Superannuation Research Alliance was formed to:
- build confidence in Australia’s superannuation systems and
- to provide new risk-informed investment opportunities for individuals, the community and the economy
The Alliance will initially address two research themes:
- improving understanding of the personal, social and economic factors influencing superannuation decisions of Australians aged 60 years and over, both now and in the future
- identifying new ways to invest superannuation funds that could deliver a better economic future
The CSIRO Monash Superannuation Research Alliance combines:
"How Australia uses its superannuation matters to all of us and science can contribute to an evidence base to help manage it better"
Alan Dormer, Leader CSIRO Government and Commercial Services
- Expertise in financial maths, social science and risk analysis from CSIRO with
- Expertise from Monash University in areas like accounting, economic modelling, finance, health economics and marketing.
Both organisations have a track record working on major financial services research projects with:
- major Australian and global banks
- federal and state government departments
- international financial agencies
CSIRO has over a decades’ research for the financial services sector, offering research in:
- risk modelling
- decision-making when there are many uncertainties
- real options analysis
- exotic options and derivatives pricing