Flagship clusters are large scale research programs
The Flagship clusters are large scale research programs with an emphasis on people and partnerships working on a collection of strongly integrated projects relevant to a Flagship's goals.
31 August 2011 | Updated 10 May 2013
Flagship clusters are funded for three years at A$1 million per annum with matching co-investment from partner organisations.
Applications must address the selection criteria in the guidelines.
Eligible applicants include:
- Australian and overseas higher education institutions
- Cooperative Research Centres (CRCs)
- other Australian and overseas publicly funded research agencies.
Each cluster must include at least one Australian university.
Flagship clusters have been accepted for inclusion on the Australian Competitive Grants Register.
Read more about funded Clusters.
Round 8 Clusters
Applications for Round 8 Clusters closed on 22 February 2013.
What makes a successful cluster?
- A strong proactive Cluster Leader - skilled at scientific, management and administrative leadership - and who can foster a strong relationship with the Flagship Director.
- A manageable number of partners.
- Open and honest communication across the partners with a good understanding and commitment to their collaborative agreement.
- Awareness that a Cluster formally lives for only 3 years but longer term opportunities might be possible i.e. Other sources of funds. Note: Clusters represent a minimum 50:50 co-investment partnership between CSIRO and Cluster partners (full cost basis).
- A well thought through research program
- consisting of integrated and focussed projects
- with sufficient depth and originality in the science appropriately responding to the specifications
- that compares to national/international efforts
- with deliverables that are realistic and practical for a 3 year timeframe
- that has effective and complimentary links to the Flagship Research Program.
- A team of skilled researchers who will commit time and effort, including the Cluster Leader.