Energy Transformed Flagship
CSIRO’s Energy Transformed Flagship aims to lower greenhouse gas emissions by providing sustainable, efficient, cost-effective energy solutions.
30 June 2010 | Updated 14 October 2011
Australia's energy future
Australia’s energy needs are increasing. Demand for electricity and transport continues to grow and this demand is the major contributor (69 per cent) to our nation’s greenhouse gas emissions.
CSIRO’s Energy Transformed Flagship is finding the energy solutions to secure Australia’s environmental, economic and social wellbeing.
Lead by Dr Alex Wonhas, Director, the Flagship's research aims to:
- improve the affordability, reliability and grid integration of renewable energy technologies – including solar, wind and biofuels
- provide the transport sector with sustainable fuels and energy storage solutions
- improve the way Australia uses energy at home and at work by using new technologies and improving the electricity grid
- provide government and industry with the tools, data and modelling capability to inform policy assessment and investment decision making.
Reducing greenhouse gas emissions
Much of Australia’s continuing growth and way of life is underpinned by access to affordable, secure and sustainable energy sources for electricity and transport. However these two sectors combined contributed 69 per cent of Australia’s greenhouse gas inventory.
CSIRO’s Energy Transformed Flagship is developing alternative energy technologies, improving the way we use energy and developing new transport fuels to help Australia reduce greenhouse gas emissions and help stop climate change.
CSIRO’s Energy Transformed Flagship is finding the energy solutions to secure Australia’s environmental, economic and social well being.
Our partnerships and successes
The Flagship draws on the skills of hundreds of scientists from many different disciplines and our research is carried out using large scale demonstration facilities at major sites in Australia.
Our Flagship collaborates with national and global partners to deliver energy solutions for a sustainable future. We collaborate with state and federal governments, universities, research agencies and industry groups.
Through our commercial partnerships we have delivered sustainable energy solutions to the market place. CSIRO’s UltraBattery will soon power hybrid electric vehicles across North America, our OptiCOOL and ComfortSENSE technologies are helping building owners dramatically reduce their energy consumption and costs by up to 30 per cent, and a unique zero emissions house design is now available.
CSIRO’s Energy Transformed Flagship focuses on three main research areas:
- reducing Australia’s carbon footprint with economic modelling and technology
- creating a sustainable future with renewable energy generation and storage - for electricity and transport
- increasing energy efficiency in society by managing energy supply and demand.
Read more about the Energy Transformed Flagship.