Additive Manufacturing Challenge
Design a part or product made of Ti-6Al-4V using an additive manufacturing method, and send us your design proposal. Your entry should nominate the relevant industry (for example, aerospace, automotive, medical, sporting, etc.) for which you have designed the item.
Criteria for assessment
Use of Ti-6Al-4V - 30 points
Use of additive manufacturing - 30 points
Innovation - 25 points
Innovation—if creativity is the art of originality, innovation is taking creativity and reducing it to practice. Tell us what’s new in your design, and why you think it will be successful?
How is your design innovative in terms of the cost, weight, performance and environmental impact?
Feasibility - 15 points
- If you’re successful, what difference will it make? Who will care?
- What target market are you addressing?
- What are the risks and payoffs?
- How much will it cost?
- Please address any technical or commercial gaps that you weren’t able to thoroughly research due to time.
Here’s what you need to include in your design proposal:
- Address the criteria above, in a .pdf document no more than 10 pages long, using a font size no smaller than 12 point.
- Include an executive summary of what your design does, and how it works, in no more than 250 words.
- Submit a visual of your design—a sketch or image of the final item, saved as a .pdf or .jpg file—showing what it will look like.