CSIRO aims to establish and build relationships with members of the community. We welcome people of all ages to come and explore our facilities, holiday programs and public events.
Phone: 1300 363 400
CSIRO, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, is Australia's national science agency and one of the largest and most diverse research agencies in the world.
Large-scale, long-term, multidisciplinary science to address Australia's major national challenges and opportunities.
CSIRO expertise is organised into 14 research areas
CSIRO manages national facilities and collections that are opened to researchers around Australia and overseas.
Vulnerability to climate change depends on a balance between environmental impacts and the community's capacity to adapt.
Assessing climate change implications on South Australia's weeds and adaptation option.
Case study - Advancing vintages: wine-growing and climate change.
To assess true vulnerability to climate change, we need to integrate climatic and environmental impacts with the community's capacity to adapt.
Australia is likely to become warmer, with less rainfall and more droughts in the south, uncertain rainfall changes in the north, more heatwaves, less snow, more fires, more heavy rainfall events and more intense cyclones.
Climate change is already underway, and will bring many changes to our weather, lifestyles and economy. Here are some ideas behind climate adaptation and what it may mean for you.
What about unavoidable climate change? Identifying ways to adapt can help communities reduce the costs and take advantage of opportunities.
How can we reduce, delay or avoid climate change? Reducing greenhouse gas emissions, using clean energy and storing carbon are crucial.
How do we know the climate is changing? By closely monitoring the Earth's climate system and oceans, and studying the influence of greenhouse gases.
- Flagship research is ensuring that Australia is positioned to deal effectively with the impacts of climate change by providing the scientific knowledge needed to improve our ability to adapt.
- Flagship researchers are developing planning, design, infrastructure and management solutions to help Australia's cities and coasts adapt to a changing climate.
- CSIRO's Climate Adaptation Flagship research is developing and delivering adaptation options to protect from the impacts of climate change Australia's marine and terrestrial species, ecosystems and the services they provide.
- The Climate Adaptation Flagship is developing adaptation options for Australia's primary industry and resource sectors to reduce the vulnerabilities and enhance opportunities created by climate change and variability.
- Urban Water is one of four research themes within the Water for a Healthy Country Flagship. This research aims to enable the mainstream adoption of innovative, integrated and sustainable water management for Australia’s cities.
- Ecosystems and contaminants is one of four research themes within the Water for a Healthy Country Flagship. This research is helping Australia better manage its valuable water ecosystems.
- Our Water for a Healthy Country Flagship research into climate change and variability will maximise agricultural, urban and ecological water use opportunities.
- CSIRO is undertaking a comprehensive scientific assessment of current and future water availability in major water systems across Australia to provide a consistent framework for future water policy decisions.
Climate Adaptation Flagship
+61 3 9239 4691
+61 437 226 011