Dymex population modelling software.
Modelling natural systems
Dymex is a population modelling program providing researchers with a means of building complex population models for any species.
4 December 2007 | Updated 14 October 2011
Meeting the need
There is an increasing need to assist researchers to understand how a particular species’ population increases and decreases over time.
Researchers at CSIRO Entomology have developed a computer based modelling package to help to:
summarise our understanding of an organism’s population dynamics
identify gaps in knowledge
rapidly evaluate management options.
Dymex is a computer software package that allows users to produce models of fluctuating populations of organisms in changing environments.
The models created can be used for real-time decision support or to explore the impact of a wide range of conditions, including various control strategies.
Dymex achieves this through:
Ecological models can easily be created using Dymex, allowing rapid analysis of the dynamics of populations.
- a builder and simulator that provides a platform on which to create and run population models
- a graphical MS Windows interface
- a modular format allowing greater flexibility to modify or extend the model
- an extensive library of user-adjustable modules which perform a particular function
- user guides, step-by-step tutorials and online help
- Hearne Scientific Software support.
allows biological users to assemble population models without the need for computer programming
can be used to describe environments in which an organism exists and to model population dynamics of almost any species.
Dymex can be used for:
- modelling population ecology
- optimisation of IPM (integrated pest management)
- weed ecology and management
- modelling workshops and collaborative involvement in research
- tertiary education.
At the Australian Information Industry Association iAwards in 2005 CSIRO Entomology and Hearne Scientific Software were internationally recognised, and received an award for the Dymex software package.
Learn more about Managing Australia’s pests.