Industry leads electricity transformation
In a first for Australia, over 35 industry partners will work together to explore a future vision for Australia’s electricity system. This vision will help guide the expected A$240 billion investment required by the sector over the next 20 years.
The partners including electricity generators, distributors, transmission service providers, retailers, regulators, government, consumer and environment groups will collaborate over the next twelve to eighteen months as part of the CSIRO facilitated Future Grid Forum.
Dr Alex Wonhas, CSIRO Energy Transformed Flagship director said the forum will play an important part in providing guidance for Australia's electricity sector to shape its future for the 21st century.
"The industry will be very different in 50 years time. This forum aims to inform the decisions we need to make today that will shape Australia's future electricity supply, prices, and the industry's carbon emissions."
Dr Alex Wonhas, CSIRO Energy Transformed Flagship director
"The sector recognised that a whole of system approach was required and that there is a need to develop a common view of the key options available. We have a huge energy transformation ahead of us."
"The industry will be very different in 50 years time. This forum aims to inform the decisions we need to make today that will shape Australia's future electricity supply, prices, and the industry's carbon emissions," Dr Wonhas said.
This project builds on past forums, including energy futures, future fuels and sustainable aviation fuels; all based on CSIRO's proven forum methodology that centres on collaboration with industry, consumers and other stakeholders to develop a clear road map for the future of energy in Australia.
The Forum will draw on the expertise of forum participants and use sophisticated economic and energy market modelling to map out future scenarios.
The Forum process will complement the Australian Government's Energy White Paper and reviews carried out by the Australian Energy Market Commission and the Productivity Commission.
Read more: www.csiro.au/future-grid-forum
Australia's Future Grid Forum partners include:
- AmpControl Group
- AMIRA International
- Aurora Energy
- Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS)
- Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC)
- Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO)
- Australian Energy Regulator (AER)
- Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics
- Clean Energy Council
- ClimateWorks Australia
- Commonwealth Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
- Commonwealth Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism
- Energy Retailer's Association of Australia (ERAA)
- Energy Supply Association of Australia (ESAA)
- Ergon Energy
- General Electric (GE)
- Grattan Institute
- Hydro Tasmania
- Origin Energy
- Queensland Department of Energy and Water Supply
- SA Power Networks
- Smart Grid Australia
- South Australian Department for Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy
- Stanwell Corporation
- Tasmanian Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources
- The Climate Institute
- Total Environment Centre
- Victorian State Government Department of Primary Industries
- Western Power
Read more media releases in our Media section.