We provide research and development, consulting, testing and commission processing services to Australian and overseas wool, cotton and technical textiles and advanced materials industries.
We have a pilot-scale fibre and textile processing facility available for testing, customised and specialist runs and the production of one-off samples for prototype production.
Our textile mill facilities offer commercially realistic processing conditions in a controlled research laboratory setting.
We have the flexibility to produce one-off samples or to do specialist runs. Commercial mills often lack the flexibility to switch equipment from commercial production runs to one-off samples or special runs.
Prototype production can disrupt long commercial runs, adding to the expense of product development.
Our mill services are used to develop:
- new lines of innovative fabrics and garments
- fabric prototypes
- specialist fibres for unique commercial products
- processes for improved production efficiency
- demonstration samples for marketing
- specialty fibres such as alpaca, cashmere, mohair and silk and metallics
- natural fibre blend fabrics for local and international promotion
- small runs of fabric and garments for trialling, marketing and sales
- specialty fabrics for industrial purposes
Our knitting equipment includes:
- Shima Seiki whole garment flatbed machine capable of producing seamless garments using the latest CAD/CAM systems
- Single and double knit circular machines with various needle per inch gauges and circular machine diameters from 3.5 inches (90 mm) to 30 inches (760 mm)
- Harry Lucas R-1s Circular Knitting Machine for knitting 2 to 5mm hollow tubes for biomedical applications
We weave wool, cotton, synthetics, blends, metallic and optic fibres with a weaving width of 300–400mm (12–16 inches) or 1620 mm (64 inches) and a wide range of reed densities to address the expanding commercial needs for novel blends of wool, cotton and speciality or synthetic fibres.
Our weaving capabilities include:
- weaving wool, cotton, blends, metallics, ballistics and synthetic yarns
- sample warping facilities
- yarn sizing on sample warping equipment.
Use this service
Contact Andrew Jones for a tour of our facility or a consultation
Mr Andrew Jones (Team Leader - CSIRO Services)
- +61 3 5246 4759
- +61 408 297 243 (Mobile)
- +61 3 5246 4000 (Alternative)
Geelong Technology Precinct, Waurn Ponds
75 Pigdons Road Deakin University,
Waurn Ponds Vic 3216