We’re helping to develop a consistent, national approach to harvest strategies with Australia's fisheries.
Sustaining our fisheries
Marine ecosystems are under increasing and competing demand for their services and products.
Three billion people depend on protein found in the ocean. Seafood is a major contributor to global food security with aquaculture the fastest-growing animal producing sector in the world, providing in 2017 over half of the world's fish for consumption.
Australia’s fisheries and marine ecosystems need to be managed properly to remain sustainable.
Providing the science toolkit for sustainable fisheries management
Australian fisheries are among the best managed in the world. Management changes introduced by the Australian Government and the fishing industry since 2006 have achieved more sustainable fish stocks and improved profits in most Commonwealth fisheries.
Our research has provided the backbone for this transformation, from understanding fish biology, movements and ecosystems, to developing standard approaches for fisheries assessment and ecosystem-based management.
Our achievements in this area include:
- Leading the development of harvest strategy guidelines for Australia’s Commonwealth fisheries.
- Developing world-leading practical scientific tools to support ecosystem-based fisheries management (EBFM) across Australia's Commonwealth-managed fisheries.
- Applying a sophisticated management strategy evaluation in the Torres Strait Rock Lobster Fishery.
- Developing the Atlantis marine ecosystem model- rated by the United Nations as the best ecosystem model in the world.
- Creating an innovative management plan for the southern bluefin tuna which will lead to rebuilding of the stock.
- Working with our partners to develop the world’s first tropical prawn fishery to be certified as sustainable by the Marine Stewardship Council.
- Conducing large-scale sampling of albacore tuna across the southern hemisphere.
- Using advanced technology to explore seamount habitats and provide improved estimates of orange roughy biomass.
Do business with us to help your organisation thrive
We partner with small and large companies, government and industry in Australia and around the world.