Working with us
The purpose of the CSIRO Innovation Fund is to invest in start-up and spin off companies, and SMEs engaged in the translation of research generated in the publicly funded research sector.
The CSIRO Innovation Fund will comprise a commitment of $70 million in government funding, $30 million revenue from CSIRO's WLAN programme and additional private sector investment, with a target total value of $200 million.
Our Fund will have a unique value proposition to investors and potential investment opportunities.
It is expected to:
- be open to investment proposals from CSIRO, Australian universities, other Australian publicly funded research agencies, and their partners including SMEs
- focus on proposals that bring forward the commercialisation of 'deep technology' across government-aligned national industry priorities as currently articulated through the Industry Growth Centres
- invest for both commercial return and national benefit
- focus its investment toward companies establishing themselves and with most assets in Australia during their formative years.
The intent is that funding will be provided without co-investment where necessary to kick start very early stage proposals and to address the initial 'Death Valley Curve' in pre-seed and seed funding, but co-investment will be encouraged.
Investment by the Fund
The CSIRO Innovation Fund will be driven by its investment thesis, aiming to back exceptional founders building massively scalable science and technology businesses that solve real problems.
The Fund’s mission is to be a company builder and value creator. Its investment strategy will include:
- backing the best entrepreneurial founders
- focusing largely on early stage deal creation
- focusing on the under-served research community
- focusing on scalable science and technology solutions to real problems
- reducing risk through discipline and teamwork
- enhancing portfolio performance through close working relationships with other funds.
The Fund will be open to investment proposals that deliver outcomes to a wide variety of industries. It will focus on success factors defined by the investment strategy, regardless of the industry category.
Please see the CSIRO Innovation Fund Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Approaching the Fund
The Fund will have a simple process for receiving proposals and more information on that will be available shortly. It is anticipated that the Fund will commence operations in mid-2017.