The ACDP Fish Diseases Laboratory (AFDL) specialises in the diagnosis of diseases of aquatic animals (finfish, molluscs and crustaceans) with an emphasis on exotic (foreign) and newly emerging diseases.
Our diagnostic and testing roles include disease diagnosis and the identification of infectious agents (pathogens), development of diagnostic tests for exotic and emerging diseases and export certification testing and health surveillance.
Our services include:
- piscine cell culture
- virus isolation and identification
- confirmation of bacterial pathogen identification
- mollusc pathogen identification
- histopathology (including immunohistochemistry)
- electron microscopy (including immuno-electron microscopy)
- microbiologically secure aquarium facilities.
The AFDL is accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities, the United States government for export certification testing and the United Kingdom government for export certification testing.