Normal Opening hours
- 7 days a week from 8.30am to 4.15pm (including public holidays)
- Extended hours during New South Wales school holidays
- Closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
See map and directions to Parkes Observatory.
Getting to the observatory
The Parkes radio telescope is located at Parkes Observatory, 20 kilometres north of Parkes off the Newell Highway (the main highway between Brisbane and Melbourne). The road to the telescope is clearly marked.
- Free entry to the visitors centre, telescope viewing area and astronomy and space science exhibition
- $4.95 to join the AstroKids Scavenger Hunt (pre-booked school groups receive a discounted rate)
3D theatre entry
- $9.50 adults
- $8.00 students and concession-card holders
- $35.00 for families (2 adults and 2 or more children)
- Free for children under school age
Please note that dogs are only allowed outside the visitors centre building, they must be on a lead and accompanied at all times; companion dogs are permitted inside.
Turn off your gadgets to help us listen to whispers from space
The 'noise' created by our modern gadgets can overwhelm the weak signals from space our telescopes are trying to detect. You can help us listen to whispers from space by switching your phone to airplane/flight mode, and turning off other WiFi and Bluetooth-enabled devices before you arrive. We welcome photography and digital video when you visit, however, please ensure that your device is in airplane/flight mode.
Contact the visitors centre
Parkes Observatory Visitors Centre