Understanding our oceans, coasts, climate and atmosphere is fundamental to Australia's sustainable development and prosperity. CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere undertakes science to ensure a healthy coastal and marine ecosystem and atmospheric environment now and into the future.
Understanding Australia's variable and changing climate will allow industries and communities to increase their resilience, prepare and respond, particularly in relation to natural disasters. CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere provides information about the health of the atmosphere, from long-lived greenhouse gases and aerosols that change the heat stored in the atmosphere, right through to hazardous air pollutants that influence human and ecosystem health. We use this information to ensure that our climate and earth system models can accurately simulate the likely impacts of human behaviour on our earth systems into the future.
Sharing our ocean's wealth for the benefit of all Australians requires careful balancing of multiple uses and conservation through planning, management and cooperation. CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere provides the large-scale multidisciplinary science to inform this use of Australia's marine environment. We develop tools for decision making in coastal regions and provide scientific support to authorities and industries responsible for the sustainable management and use of Australian and international fisheries.
We deliver impact in the following areas
- Climate Science Centre - The CSIRO Climate Science Centre is home to Australia's national capability in atmosphere, ocean and climate model development (including the national weather climate and Earth System model, ACCESS).
- Coasts - The O&A Coasts program supports the sustainable development of Australia's coastal resources by providing decision-makers with integrated observational and modelling capabilities to assess and anticipate the dynamics and vulnerability of coastal assets.
- Marine Resources and Industries - Marine Resources and Industries provides scientific knowledge and tools to support sustainable development of Australia’s marine resources, including mitigation of environmental impacts and conservation of marine biodiversity.
Meet the Oceans and Atmosphere Leadership Team
- Acting Director - Andreas Schiller
- Acting Deputy & Science Director - Brett Molony
- Director Business Development and Global - Phillipa Ormandy
- Research Director, Climate Science Centre - Jaclyn Brown
- Acting Research Director, Coasts - Rodrigo Bustamante
- Research Director, Coasts and Oceans Research - Alistair Hobday
- Research Operations Manager - Tamara Walton