Eligible students are:
- students in the second or third year of their undergraduate course, with at least one full semester remaining at the time of application
- students in double degrees who have completed two full years of their undergraduate degree at the time of application
- enrolled at a Victorian tertiary institution.
Non-eligible students are:
- students in the first year or in the final semester of their course
- students completing their degrees at the end of the academic year are not eligible to apply for the summer intake of that academic year
- students completing their degree in the middle of the academic year, are not eligible to apply for the winter intake of that year.
The UROP application requires you to submit:
- a cover letter expressing your interest in UROP, which includes answers to specific questions provided in the Application instructions (see below)
- a curriculum vitae including the contact details of one academic referee
- a copy of your academic results.
All documents must be submitted in pdf format using the webform.
Please read and comply with the Application instructions (below) before submitting your application. Applications that do not comply with the Application instructions will not be considered, nor will late or incomplete applications.
Where to apply
- student applications are submitted using the web form - UROP student form (available when round starts)
- supervisor applications are submitted using the web form - UROP supervisor form (available when round starts).
What to submit
- application letter
- curriculum vitae (resume)
- electronic copy of academic results.
- all documents must be in PDF format
- please ensure your name is on all documents (header or footer)
- late applications will not be considered
- applications will not be accepted if they are missing any attachments.
Further information about required documents
- Use this opportunity to differentiate yourself from the other applicants. There are no right or wrong answers, just be genuine. Make sure to tell us about yourself. This could include your reasons for applying for UROP, your specific area of interest, how you believe UROP would benefit you and what you believe you have to offer a research group.
- Within your application letter, you must address the following questions:
- Who is your scientific hero and why?
- Describe what you think a typical day as a biomedical researcher would be like, OR What role do you imagine computing plays in biomedical research?
- What initiatives have you undertaken to obtain relevant experience?
- Tell us how you heard about UROP (20 words or less).
- The letter must be no longer than one A4 page, typed in font size 11 or larger. Any text exceeding this limit will be discarded.
Curriculum vitae (resume)
There is no fixed length for the curriculum vitae, but it is preferable to be concise – between one to three A4 pages. Please include the following:
- name of the course you are currently enrolled in, current year of study and anticipated completion date (excluding an Honours year)
- name and contact details (including e-mail address) of one academic referee (you must obtain permission from the referee) - the referee may or may not be contacted
- your contact details
- your education and employment history
- any other relevant information.
Electronic copy of academic record
- the full record of your results can be downloaded from your student information system
- the most up-to-date record of your results, for the full period of your undergraduate candidature to date, is required
- if selected for placement, you may be required to provide an official academic transcript to the employing organisation
- all results must be entered, including fails. You may omit subjects that just have a pass grade.
Availability for Placement
Please ensure that you are available for a period of four weeks during the Summer vacation, or a period of two weeks during the Winter vacation, to complete the full-time placement requirement.
If you are offered another placement for the vacation during the UROP decision-making period, please let us know as soon as possible.
Notification of status of application
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by email once final decisions are confirmed. Please do not contact UROP enquiring about the status of your application prior to this time. We notify all applicants of the final status of their application but do not provide individual feedback.