About the placement
This internship is with Advitech and is facilitated by the CSIRO's Generation STEM Links program.
Hospital operating theatres consume a large amount of sterile reusable, recyclable and one-use materials and tools to maintain infection control while conducting medical procedures. This project involves the investigation and conceptual design of an automated system (computer vision) that could scan all the tools leaving the operating rooms, identify the items used and unused. This data would be collected in a database, cross referenced with existing stock data to optimise the bill of materials for each operation. The intended outcome is an understanding of what the solution might be (high level concept only) and an estimate of what the social, financial and environmental benefit of the system might be.
- Start date: November 2023
- Working arrangement: Part-time for 200 hours
- Remuneration: $31.25 on a casual contract with Advitech
- Location: Mayfield West
- In their penultimate to final year of a STEM degree or qualification.
- A background in Computer Science, Science, or Engineering is advantageous.
- Ability to comprehend and translate complex problems.
- High level problem solving and communication skills.
- Willingness to spend time working with medical staff in a hospital environment.
- Strong report writing experience.
- Must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be in your penultimate or final year of an undergraduate qualification.
About the industry partner
Advitech is a diverse engineering and environmental consulting firm offering targeted technical and project management capabilities to solve complex engineering challenges and manage environmental impacts. We help plan sustainability initiatives (ESG) and implement path to net zero while balancing business goals.
Working across sectors including energy & resources, manufacturing, infrastructure, agriculture, defence, performance venues and more, our specialists go the extra mile to examine your particular objectives with rigour and provide innovative solutions that exceed expectations. If a solution requires a product that doesn't exist, our ideation expertise is engaged and we design and develop it ourselves.
If you are interested in this internship, please submit your EOI and CV online through the Student Application webform and please specify CODE0076e.