The winners will be Indigenous STEM Education ambassadors and will each receive a prize of $20,000.
There are awards within the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander STEM Professional Awards category:
- The Early Career Award is for professionals with up to 5 years experience after graduating from an undergraduate degree or equivalent
- The Career Achievement Award which recognises career professionals with greater than 5 years post graduate experience or equivalent
The finalists chosen will be promoted as positive role models for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students across the country for the duration of the Indigenous STEM Education Project.
Nominations for these awards may be completed by members of the community, academics, and other STEM professionals or may be self-nominated.
To be eligible for this award the nominee must:
- identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- hold a tertiary qualification
- be making significant contributions to key STEM initiatives, programs and/or research
- demonstrated suitability and capacity to act as a role model for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, including examples of what the applicant has previously done as well as what they hope to do in this role.
- be endorsed by two referees, at least one referee must be from an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
Applications for Indigenous STEM Awards will open again in 2021.