To be eligible for this award the nominee must:
- identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- be currently enrolled in senior high school, a university undergraduate degree or alternative tertiary level education program such as TAFE (These awards are not for students beyond an undergraduate level).
- be able to demonstrate engagement and improvement in STEM subjects
- be able to demonstrate effective inquiry competencies (ie. ability to apply the critical thinking skills of planning, conducting, processing and evaluating)
- be involved in extra-curricular STEM activities (ie. work experience/placements that build inquiry skills, STEM student networks)
- be able to demonstrate leadership capabilities (ie. mentoring other students)
- be able to demonstrate a passion for STEM (please note, this criterion must be answered by the student themselves and must include why they like STEM and any aspirations for the feature).
There will be prizes for a Secondary Student winner and Tertiary Student winner.