Have a question about joining the Academy?
FAQ: Young Indigenous Women's STEM Academy
The Academy will be run in target regions across Australia via a staged roll-out. New regions will be added each year.
When you are ready to apply, you will need to complete an application form and gain your parent's permission before applying.
To be eligible for the Academy you will need to be passing Maths, English and Science at school.
By joining the Academy you will have the opportunity to be mentored by a dedicated CSIRO Academic Coordinator and undertake activities to help you work towards a career in the exciting field of STEM. You will receive support and resources throughout high school through to university and graduate employment.
The Academy will offer a range of activities including:
- a STEM Camp for Year 8 students
- an opportunity to participate in the CREST Awards
- a personalised plan that is tailored to your interests and goals
- access to STEM camps and activities throughout high school
- regular catch-ups with your Academic Coordinator or Student Advisor to make sure you're getting the support you need
- work placements in STEM jobs
- access to leadership programs
- regular online experiences where you will be able to talk to other students, Indigenous and non-Indigenous women working in STEM and students studying STEM at university
- help to make sure you have access to the resources you need to finish high school and university
- support to make decisions about school subjects and university courses.
- work hard at school and university
- graduate Year 12 and consider a university degree
- attend Academy events and activities
- let your Academic Coordinator or Student Advisor know if you need help
- do your best to succeed.
Your Academic Coordinator will work with you to get extra help.
Your family will need to support you – this means helping you get to events or activities, providing information to your Academic Coordinator to help plan camps and other activities and attending any activities that they are invited to.
Yes, when you apply to join the Academy we will ask you to give us the name of a teacher at your school that you would like to work with. We will contact your school to let them know you are part of the Academy. We will make sure that you don't miss any school to participate in Academy activities.
You can leave the Academy at any time; however, you may not be able to re-join the program if you change your mind later.
The Academy is for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women who are interested in going to university and studying or working in STEM. If you don't want to go to university, there are other programs available that you can get involved in.
Yes, CareerTrackers are partners with CSIRO in the Academy program. When you start university a CareerTrackers Advisor will work with you and guide you through the program. You will be provided with world-class training throughout your academic career and be connected with a global network of like-minded Indigenous professionals.
Need more information about joining?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org