Includes reports on each catchment, summary reports, key findings, technical publications and datasets.
Key findings of the CSIRO Northern Australia Water Resources Assessment. (2pp)
- Northern Australia Water Resource Assessment – Fitzroy catchment. PDF (421 KB)
- Northern Australia Water Resource Assessment – Darwin catchments. PDF (421 KB)
- Northern Australia Water Resource Assessment – Mitchell catchment. PDF (427 KB)
Summary catchment reports
These documents provide an overview of the findings for each catchment. (24pp)
- Water resource assessment for the Fitzroy catchment. PDF (5 MB)
- Water resource assessment for the Darwin catchments. PDF (6 MB)
- Water resource assessment for the Mitchell catchment. PDF (5 MB)
Full catchment reports
These documents provide a comprehensive analysis of the feasibility, economic viability and sustainability of agricultural development in three study areas.
- Water resource assessment for the Fitzroy catchment
- Water resource assessment for the Darwin catchments
- Water resource assessment for the Mitchell catchment
Discover the technical reports that provide detailed scientific analysis of specific components of the Assessment, by catchment:
As key datasets produced by the Northern Australia Water Resource Assessment (NAWRA) become publicly available they can be accessed through CSIRO’s Data Access Portal.
Land suitability and soil related datasets
The Assessment has delivered 126 modelled land suitability datasets of 41 crops, irrigation method and season combinations, and modelled confidence for the three study areas.
A general soil dataset and soil related datasets are modelled providing spatial data on soil properties e.g. soil depth, soil water availability. Modelled confidence is also delivered for the three study areas.
CSIRO NAWRA technical reports should be consulted before these data are used, in particular the land suitability technical report and the DSM technical report.
Access soil-related datasets (The technical reports on land suitability and DSM should be consulted before these data are used.)
Field measurements and soil sampling
Field measurements and site specific soils data collected by the land suitability activity of the Assessment are not available through the CSIRO Data Access Portal. This data resides in jurisdiction soil and land information-specific corporate databases.
Landholders who would like access to the results of soil sampling taken on their property will need to contact the relevant government agency, details provided below for each state. All other interested parties including government agencies, consultants, community groups, indigenous councils etc can request these data through the same process.
The applicant will need to specify that the request relates to soil data from the Northern Australia Water Resource Assessment. Other details required for the data request are;
- Lot and Plan details (which are listed on your rates notices), or
- Minimum and maximum latitude and longitude of your area of interest
- Your contact details
You will receive an electronic document of the results by return email.
Western Australia – Fitzroy catchment
Northern Territory – Darwin catchments
Email contact for soil information requests email@example.com
Web mapping portal – http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/imfPublic/imf.jsp?site=nt_atlas
Corporate repository - Northern Territory Soil and Land Information System (SALInfo).
Metadata for the Northern Territory Soil and Land Information System (SALInfo).