CSIRO undertakes projects in various European nations. We engage in research and development related to astronomy, agricultural science and food science, among other areas.
Europe is a key partner region for CSIRO, both in relation to basic scientific research and for commercialisation and applications of our industrial research.
CSIRO in France
CSIRO maintains a small laboratory for biosecurity research at the Agropolis International Campus at Baillarguet, Montferrier-sur-Lez, on the outskirts of Montpellier in France.
Collaboration partners in Europe
Collaboration with European partners covers nearly all areas of CSIRO's research, but particularly:
- food processing
- solar energy technology
- materials science and engineering
- marine, agricultural and environmental sciences
- radio astronomy
- space science
- information and communications technology
- mining technology.
Key European partner organisations include:
- Bayer CropScience (Germany)
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS – France)
- Clextral (France)
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR - Italy)
- EU Joint Research Centre
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft (Germany)
- Groupe Limagrain (France)
- Helmholtz Association (Germany)
- Imperial College London
- Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA – France)
- Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy (Germany)
- TNO (Netherlands)
- UK Met Office
- Vilmorin & Cie (France)
- VTT (Finland).
CSIRO also works with European partners in other parts of the world, including in the Pacific and Africa.
CSIRO hosts Masters and post-graduate students each year from a range of institutions across Europe.
CSIRO is part of many EU-funded Horizon 2020 projects, including:
- AENEAS – Advanced European Network of E-infrastructure Astronomy with the SKA (2017-2019)
- CIRCASA – Coordination of International Research Cooperation on soil Carbon Sequestration in Agriculture (2017-2020)
- EPPN2020 - European Plant Phenotyping Network 2020 (2017-2021)
- EVAg - European Virus Archive goes global (2015-2019)
- DEFEND – Addressing the dual emerging threats of African Swine Fever and Lumpy Skin Disease in Europe (2018-2023)
- HOMED – HOlistic Management of Emerging forest pests and Diseases (2018-2022)
- MESOPP – Mesopelagic Southern Ocean Prey and Predators (2016-2019)
- TEAM-Coast – Toward a new generation of Ecological Assessment tools for the Management Coastal environment (2018-2021)
- VetBioNet - Veterinary Biocontained facility Network for excellence in animal infectiology research and experimentation (2017-2022)
- FF-IPM - In-silico boosted, pest prevention and off-season focused IPM against new and emerging fruit flies (2019-2023)
In addition, CSIRO is a member of science panels or international advisory panel for the following projects:
- CERES - Climate change and European aquatic RESources (2016-2020)
- RRI-Practice - Responsible Research and Innovation in Practice (2016-2019)
Related to this page
- Interactive map of CSIRO projects around the world
- CSIRO European Laboratory: Delivering billion dollar benefits to Australian agriculture and biosecurity. PDF (1 MB)
- European-Laboratory French version PDF (1 MB)
- Solar field lights up Cyprus
- Protecting wine grapes from mildew
- Printable solar cells for lightweight energy
- Co-creating Ecosystem based Fisheries Management Solutions
- Horizon 2020