Applications open for Innovate to Grow: Defence Victoria/Tasmania
Applications for the next 10-week defence program for businesses in Victoria/Tasmania are open until Monday 10 October.
What is the Innovate to Grow: Defence Victoria/Tasmania program?
This is a free 10-week virtual, self-paced program for Small to Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Victoria and Tasmania to investigate new R&D opportunities related to defence solutions.
This program is open to businesses working in one of the sub-sectors listed below. If you are not sure if you fit into one of these sub-sectors, please reach out to our program coordinator.
The course provides tools and information to help you better understand what's involved with R&D and key things you need to consider at each step of the process. You'll be able to apply this knowledge to advance your innovation journey.
This program is open to SMEs currently working in the defence industry, or those working in other areas looking to offer new technology or solutions that could be applicable to the defence industry.
The program will help you refine your innovation idea and step you through how to turn this into a research and development opportunity.
You will also be exposed to industry knowledge, hear from innovation and industry experts and have access to networking opportunities with researchers and R&D mentors.
It's a great opportunity to work alongside other like-minded SMEs and build your networks.
The course will help you to:
- Identify your innovation opportunities.
- Refine your value proposition.
- Understand the R&D viability.
- Help you build your business case.
- Provide guidance on how to prepare a strong funding application.
The program is made up of virtual webinars and self-paced learning as follows:
Pre-workshop: Preparing for the program (approximately 2 hours)
- Participants will be provided with an on-boarding session, pre-workshop videos, materials and questionnaires to assist in preparing for the program.
- Time commitment is approximately two hours.
Week 1: Workshop (4.5 hours)
- The program's main compulsory component is a half-day workshop covering the program concept. Participants will hear from CSIRO industry and research experts as well as relevant industry SMEs. Key topics include trends within your industry sector, a panel discussion with collaborating SMEs, and current funding opportunities for R&D.
- Time commitment is approximately 4.5 hours.
Week 2-10: Self-paced innovation program
- Participants will work through the online innovation program at their own pace, supported by CSIRO experts and experienced innovation facilitators to develop and test their research ideas and business cases.
- Fortnightly webinars on topics such as how to write a funding proposal and expert insights into your industry.
- Final wrap-up session.
- Time commitment is approximately 2-3 hours per week.
Key program outcomes
Personalised support to refine your idea: We'll step you through the process of turning your idea into a viable research project.
Confidential feedback: All submissions through the program portal will receive prompt expert feedback.
Mentor: You will be provided with a mentor from CSIRO or a university to assist you with understanding the program deliverables and connecting you to relevant specialists
Build your network: You will build key contacts in your sector, including researchers at CSIRO and universities, domain experts, funding professionals and other SMEs.
Who can apply
This program is open to SMEs in Victoria and Tasmania working on innovations from the subsectors listed below.
- Integrated intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance
- Enhanced human performance
- Medical countermeasures
- Advanced materials
- Advanced sensors or quantum technologies
- Autonomous systems
Selection criteria (essential):
- An Australian registered and operating business with an ABN and ACN/ICN.
- A business operating in Victoria and Tasmania.
- A business classified as small to medium (less than 200 employees).
- A business currently, or in the early stages of, exploring R&D opportunities for their business.
- Currently working in the defence sector or have identified a new opportunity relevant to defence.
- Any other information provided to support your application.
- Have a clear need to develop your skills in R&D.
Please note: CSIRO awards places to businesses based on the strength of their application, and a clear interest and capacity to pursue research and development.
We also include participants from a variety of industry sub‑sectors and regions.
Download the flyer
- Innovate to Grow: Defence Victoria/Tasmania flyer PDF (598 KB)
- Innovate to Grow: Defence Victoria/Tasmania flyer (accessible text only version) TXT (4 KB)
What program participants are saying
"I believe the program is a great way to distil and crystalize a specific project scope. Regardless of funding opportunities the ability to narrow down the scope of a potential project is extremely valuable."
— Chris Pistilli, Lead Consultant, Synergy Managed
"I found the program rewarding, enjoyable and thought provoking. It may not be a good fit for every organisation but for those looking to understand more about developing a process of innovation and learning how to engage with research institutes it was very useful."
— Julian Fay, Chief Technology Corporation, Senetas
CSIRO Innovate to Grow is delivered using Practera’s online ed-tech platform and facilitation services.
Innovate to Grow: Defence Victoria/Tasmania is jointly funded by the Defence Science Institute.