Innovate to Grow: Energy applications
Applications for the Innovate to Grow: Energy intake is now open. Applications close Monday 10 April 2023.
Innovate to Grow is a free 10-week virtual, self-paced learning program for Small to Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to investigate new R&D opportunities related to the Energy sector.
This program is open to businesses working in one of the sub-sectors listed below. If you are not sure if you fit into one of these sub-sectors, please reach out to our program coordinators.
The course provides tools and information to help you better understand what's involved with R&D and key things you need to consider at each step of the process. You'll be able to apply this knowledge to advance your innovation journey.
This program is open to Australian SMEs currently working in the energy sector, or those working in other areas looking to offer new technology or solutions that could be applicable to the energy sector.
The program will help you refine your innovation idea and step you through how to turn this into a research and development opportunity.
You will also be exposed to industry knowledge, hear from innovation and industry experts and have access to networking opportunities with researchers and R&D mentors.
It's a great opportunity to work alongside other like-minded SMEs and build your networks.
This program will help you to:
- Identify your innovation opportunities
- Refine your value proposition
- Understand the R&D viability
- Help you build your business case
- Provide guidance on how to prepare a strong funding application
The program is made up of virtual webinars and self-paced learning as follows:
Preparing for the program (week commencing 24 April, approximately 2 hours)
- Participants will be provided with an on-boarding session, pre-workshop videos, materials and questionnaires to assist in preparing for the program.
- Time commitment is approximately two hours.
Week 1: Workshop (official start date 4 May 2023, approximately 4.5 hours)
- The program's main compulsory component is a half-day workshop covering the program concept. Participants will hear from CSIRO industry and research experts as well as relevant industry SMEs. Key topics include SMEs, and current funding opportunities for R&D.
- Time commitment is approximately 4.5 hours.
Weeks 2-10: Self-paced innovation program
- Participants will work through the online innovation program at their own pace, supported by a mentor and experienced innovation facilitators to develop and test their research ideas and business cases.
- Fortnightly webinars for participant networking and guest speakers.
- A final questionnaire is required at completion.
- Time commitment is approximately 2-3 hours per week.
Key program outcomes
- Personalised support to refine your idea: We'll step you through the process of turning your idea into a viable research project.
- Confidential feedback: All submissions through the program portal will receive prompt expert feedback.
- Mentor: You will be paired with an energy researcher to help connect you with the relevant specialists.
- Build your network: You will build key contacts in your sector, including researchers at CSIRO and universities, domain experts, funding professionals and other SMEs.
Who can apply
This program is open to any SME participants working in energy from the sub-sectors listed below.
- Energy storage and batteries
- Energy data systems
- Low emissions technology
- Energy resources
Selection criteria (essential):
- An Australian registered and operating business with an ABN nad ACN/ICN
- A business classified as small to medium (less than 200 employees)
- A business currently, or in the early stages of, exploring R&D opportunities for their business and have an idea to work throughout the course.
- Currently working in the energy sector or have identified a new opportunity relevant to energy
- Any other information provided to support your application
- Have a clear need to develop your skills in R&D
CSIRO awards places to businesses based on the strength of their application, and a clear interest and capacity to pursue research and development. We also include participants from a variety of industry subsectors and regions.
- Innovate to Grow: Energy flyer PDF (315 KB)
- Innovate to Grow: Energy flyer - accessible text only TXT (4 KB)
Contact Innovate To Grow
Contact InnovateToGrow@csiro.au for assistance and more information.
What program participants are saying
"The program was very practical and hands on. Tony was an excellent steward and the mentor provided excellent advice and connected me with potential research partners."
— Fionna Millikan, Green Gravity.
"Before the program limited opportunities presented themselves in regards to collaborative work with research organisations. [Now] I have an opportunity to discuss with a university an opportunity to work together."
— Martin Newton, HiloT Pty Ltd.
CSIRO Innovate to Grow is delivered using Practera’s online ed-tech platform and facilitation services.