Applications are closed.
Applications for the Innovate to Grow: Health and Medical Technology intake closed on Monday 12 June 2023. The program will commence 6 July 2023.
This program is open to businesses working in one of the sub-sectors listed below. If you are not sure if you fit into one of these sub-sectors, please reach out to our program coordinators.
The course provides tools and information to help you better understand what's involved with R&D and key things you need to consider at each step of the process. You'll be able to apply this knowledge to advance your innovation journey.
This program is open to Australian SMEs currently working in heath and/or medtech, or those working in other areas looking to offer new technology or solutions that could be applicable to these sectors.
The program will help you refine your innovation idea and step you through how to turn this into a research and development opportunity.
You will also be exposed to industry knowledge, hear from innovation and industry experts and have access to networking opportunities with researchers and R&D mentors.
It's a great opportunity to work alongside other like-minded SMEs and build your networks.
The course will help you to:
- Identify your innovation opportunities
- Refine your value proposition
- Understand the R&D viability
- Help you build your business case
- Provide guidance on how to prepare a strong funding application
The program is made up of virtual webinars and self-paced learning as follows:
Preparing for the program (week commencing 3 July, approximately 2 hours)
- Participants will be provided with an on-boarding session, pre-workshop videos, materials and questionnaires to assist in preparing for the program.
- Time commitment is approximately two hours.
Week 1: Workshop (Official start date 6 July 2023, approximately 4.5 hours)
- The program's main compulsory component is a half-day workshop covering the program concept. Participants will hear from CSIRO industry and research experts as well as relevant industry SMEs. Key topics include trends within your industry sector, a panel discussion with collaborating SMEs, and current funding opportunities for R&D.
- Time commitment is approximately 4.5 hours.
Week 2-10: Self-paced innovation program
- Participants will work through the online innovation program at their own pace, supported by a mentor and experienced innovation facilitators to develop and test their research ideas and business cases.
- Fortnightly webinars for participant networking and guest speakers.
- A final questionnaire is required at completion.
- Time commitment is approximately 2-3 hours per week.
Key program outcomes
- Personalised support to refine your idea: We'll step you through the process of turning your idea into a viable research project.
- Confidential feedback: All submissions through the program portal will receive prompt expert feedback.
- Mentor: You will be provided with a mentor from CSIRO or a university to assist you with understanding the program deliverables and connecting you to relevant specialists
- Build your network: You will build key contacts in your sector, including researchers at CSIRO and universities, domain experts, funding professionals and other SMEs.
Who can apply
This program is open to any SME participants working in Health and Medical Technology.
Selection criteria (essential):
- An Australian registered and operating business with an ABN and ACN/ICN (sole traders and partnerships are not currently eligible to apply)
- A business classified as small to medium (less than 200 employees)
- A business currently, or in the early stages of, exploring R&D opportunities for their business and have an idea to work on throughout the course
- Currently working in a sector related to health and/or medtech, or have identified a new opportunity relevant to these sectors.
- Any other information provided to support your application
- Have a clear need to develop your knowledge in R&D
CSIRO awards places to businesses based on the strength of their application, and a clear interest and capacity to pursue research and development.
We also include participants from a variety of industry sub‑sectors and regions.
- Innovate to Grow program: Health and medical technology PDF (168 KB)
- Innovate to Grow program: Health and medical technology (accessible text only) TXT (4 KB)
What program participants are saying
"I believe the program is a great way to distil and crystalize a specific project scope. Regardless of funding opportunities the ability to narrow down the scope of a potential project is extremely valuable."Chris Pistilli, Lead Consultant, Synergy Managed
"I found the program rewarding, enjoyable and thought provoking. It may not be a good fit for every organisation but for those looking to understand more about developing a process of innovation and learning how to engage with research institutes it was very useful."Julian Fay, Chief Technology Corporation, Senetas
CSIRO Innovate to Grow is delivered using Practera’s online ed-tech platform and facilitation services.