Applications have now closed
The Next Generation Quantum Graduates Program (NGQGP) is an Australian Government supported program set to fund nationally competitive scholarships to attract and train Australia's next generation of quantum technology specialists. The scholarships will be funded for study at Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Level 10 (Doctoral). Students will participate in collaborative projects between industry and university, including placements with partners to build career-ready skills, and to forge ongoing relationships and networks.
The NGQGP can leverage existing university resources, activities and networks to assemble cohorts of high potential students to work directly on research projects that are informed by real-world challenges brought forward by industry partners.
The NGQGP will provide up to 20 PhD Scholarships and allowances from 2024-2029 to domestic students who will be enrolled at an Australian University. Universities are expected to form consortiums with industry participants, develop research proposals that address real world challenges with quantum technology, and bid in funding for the students.
The objectives of the NGQGP grant are to:
- develop a steady talent pipeline for the growth of Australia’s quantum Industry
- retain quantum domestic talent in Australia by providing industry placements to PhD graduates with quantum industry partners in Australia
- foster career-ready experiences and build connections between quantum graduates and industry partners through collaborative research projects and/or work placement opportunities within industry
- develop cross-cutting skills, capabilities and connections through professional development and training opportunities in complementary areas, such as business, management, entrepreneurship, ethics or human-centred design.
Proposals for student cohorts should be informed by a real-world challenge, designed to advance quantum technologies in Australia. In alignment with the National Quantum Strategy, the NGQGP has identified the following focus areas in quantum technology, and expect that challenges will be aligned with one or more of these:
- Quantum devices and scalable quantum computer architectures
- Quantum Information Science and Quantum Computing
- Quantum Sensing
- Quantum Communication
- Quantum Biotechnology
- Quantum Materials
How to apply
Applications have now closed.
We've put together a comprehensive FAQ page where you can find answers to common questions. If you require additional assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at Data61-NextGenGrad@csiro.au.