Applications for Innovate to Grow – MRIWA Net Zero Emission Mining have now closed. Our next offer will be on Cyber innovation, opening later in July 2021. Please contact the team if you would like to know more about this next program.
About the program
Innovate to Grow is an engaging virtual learning program that helps small to medium sized businesses (SMEs) develop actionable business insights and strategies for leveraging research and development (R&D) to meet specific business needs.
With the help of experienced researchers and innovation experts, participants identify real technical and/or business challenges, explore what R&D and innovation opportunities exist to overcome those challenges, and develop actionable business and funding plans to activate those opportunities.
Innovate to Grow: Net Zero Emission Mining
The next round of Innovate to Grow commences in July 2021 and is for SMEs working on Net Zero Emission Mining solutions relevant to Western Australia. Participation is focused on companies developing and delivering Mining Equipment, Engineering and Technology Services (METS) for the Western Australian mining sector.
The Net Zero Emission Mining Challenge is led by the Minerals Research Institute of Western Australia (MRIWA) and aims to address challenges to emissions reduction in Western Australia's mining industry and support decarbonisation as an opportunity, rather than a cost.
The Challenge covers a broad range of opportunities across the minerals and mining value chain, with an initial focus on solutions responding to three priority themes:
- Data Driven Decisions
- Mining and Processing Technology
- Energy Utilisation
As part of Innovate to Grow, SMEs will learn about CSIRO’s latest science and technologies to tackle net zero emissions and help the mining and minerals sector. SMEs will be exposed to R&D and industry knowledge, innovation experts and mentors to help develop an actionable funding proposal related to the MRIWA Net Zero Emission Mining Challenge.
To further support participating SMEs, MRIWA is offering program participants the opportunity to apply for a total of up $500,000 (between $20,000 to $50,000 per grant) to develop their solutions towards implementation in partnership with a research institution. These small scale grants will require matched funding and will be subject to a separate application and assessment process following completion of the program, with further details to be released by MRIWA.
This program is designed for established SMEs who are either interested in understanding their R&D opportunities or are in the early decision-making stages about engaging in an R&D project with a research organisation.
Each program will bring together SMEs and industry experts from a specific industry sector. Innovate to Grow is delivered in partnership with Australian edtech start-up Practera, using their experiential learning platform to facilitate high quality project learning collaboration.
The program is self-paced and is delivered in three phases:
Phase 1: Program preparation
- Participants will be provided with an on-boarding session, pre-workshop videos, materials and questionnaires to assist in preparing for the program
- Time commitment is approximately two hours
Phase 2: Half-day workshop
- The program’s main compulsory component is a half-day workshop covering the program concept. Participants will hear from CSIRO industry and research experts as well as relevant industry SMEs. Key topics include trends within your industry sector, a panel discussion with collaborating SMEs, and current funding opportunities for R&D.
- Time commitment is approximately five hours
Phase 3: Self-paced 60 day online program
- Participants will work through the online innovation program at their own pace, supported by CSIRO experts and experienced innovation facilitators to develop and test their research ideas and business cases.
- Optional fortnightly webinars on topics such as how to write a funding proposal and expert insights into your industry
- Final wrap-up session
- Time commitment is approximately 1-2 hours per week
Participants will walk away from the program with a suite of tools to enable ongoing innovation planning in their business, including:
- Innovation Value Template to define innovation opportunities and assess their business value
- Business Case Template to assess and compare innovation opportunities for your business
- Funding Plan Template to understand key data and funding requirements, and prepare for a funding application
- Detailed Project Budgeting and ROI Calculation Templates
What program participants are saying
"The perfect solution in the current times. Innovation can provide a path out of the current COVID induced slump and reposition Australia as a smart nation into the future. Nobody knows their product/markets and how to improve them like SME's, they just don't have the resources to develop them. This course taps that knowledge rich base and links with the resources."
— Hamish Shaw, GM Bellata Gold Milling
"[There are]…significant benefits of being part of the ‘eco-system’ - from which associations and opportunities flow"
— Amanda Falconer, Founder & CEO, Bestie Kitchens