We are delivering D.Start Spark in partnership with Defence Science and Technology Group. Supported by the Next Generation Technologies Fund, D.Start Spark is looking for emerging and future technologies with the potential to provide game-changing capabilities for Australia's defence and national security.
About D.Start Spark
D.Start Spark is designed for research teams working on science and technology with a potential defence application. It is the first step towards understanding the customer and market for your project or idea.
The program gives you the skills, frameworks and mindset to determine 'proof of problem', demonstrating the value of your research project and how it addresses a problem in the defence market.
There is no cost to teams to participate.
What teams will get out of D.Start Spark
By the end of the two-day experience, participants will be able to:
- apply effective tools to articulate and iterate the unique value proposition of their research/idea
- apply effective tools to articulate and iterate the potential customer segments of their research/idea
- understand and experience a different approach to working on their research impact
- gain experience in presenting their research in a way that's focused on the problem they’re solving and the impact it has on the world
- better understand the potential defence application for their research/idea.
How D.Start Spark is delivered
D.Start Spark is a high intensity, fast-paced two-day program delivered virtually by our expert facilitators in a workshop format. There is some pre-work required and there will be one day in between the two sessions, in which time your team will have activities to complete.
How to apply
Applications for D.Start Spark Spring 2021 have now closed.
Applying to participate in D.Start Spark is a simple, two-step process:
- Submit an online application: Each team is required to fill out an application via the online application portal. Access to the portal will be made available when applications open. Submitting the application will trigger an email to all team members listed in the application where they can confirm that their personal details are correct and agree to the terms and conditions and privacy notice.
- Application review and evaluation: At the closure of the application period, all applications will be reviewed by representatives of their lead organisation. This is to ensure that each team has engaged their sponsoring institute and has full support to participate in the program.
Each application is evaluated by multiple experts from our extended network. The highest rated applications will be selected and invited to participate in D.Start Spark.
Applications are evaluated against how clearly they have articulated the following points:
- the problem that their idea/solution addresses
- the identified potential end-users or customers of their idea
- the solution and value proposition for their idea.
Successful teams will be notified approximately four weeks after the application closing date. To confirm the offer of a place in the program, each member of the team will need to complete an online form and their lead organisation will need to sign a participation agreement.
Applicants who do not successfully progress to D.Start Spark will be able to access detailed feedback from the evaluation process to help them refine and continue to work on their ideas.
Contact our D.Start team if you have any questions about the program.
Subscribe to our mailing list to be the first to hear the news and updates from our ON program.