Sustainable and profitable farming
We're working on integrated solutions that will provide sustainable diets for all amid global challenges.
To feed the world's population and support national economies and rural
livelihoods, we need to continue finding innovative solutions for agriculture,
land use and food security. At the same time, there are challenges of resource
competition, degradation and climate change.
Boosting production alone will not be enough to maintain a healthy
population; we also need to increase the availability of nutritious food.
We are taking an integrated approach to addressing many of the
challenges facing Australian and global agriculture, including the following.
- Providing expertise in participatory design, and value chain analysis
that contribute to research for development and policy platforms.
- Researching how agriculture and food systems can transform to achieve
sustainable diets for all, contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Researching global land use and the economic context in which food is
produced through contributing to global integrated assessments and
international research initiatives.
- Developing technologies and practices to reduce and account for
greenhouse gas emissions and mitigation potential across the value chain.
- Providing practical adaptation strategies that will ensure the long term
viability of rural enterprises and communities threatened by climate change.
- Providing in-depth knowledge of systems and innovation to help partners
target interventions that deliver the greatest impact.
- Identifying challenges and opportunities for innovation in agri-food
- Brokering partnerships across agri-food research and business.