About this study
This study will evaluate the effects of daily consumption of 2 doses of a novel dietary supplement on mood in people who are feeling anxious or stressed out compared to placebo over 6 weeks.
We will evaluate the effects on psychological functioning, mood, heart rate, gut health and dietary intake.
The study is taking place in Adelaide and you will be required to attend our clinic at SAHMRI in Adelaide's CBD on two occasions.
At the completion of the study you will be provided with a $140 payment to thank you for your time taken to participate in this research project and to cover any expenses that you may experience. Should you withdraw before completion of the trial, reimbursement will be calculated on a pro rata basis for the study activities that you have completed.
More information about the study can be found in the participant information sheet. PDF (676 KB)
Who can participate in this study?
To be eligible to take part in this research, there are a few criteria you must meet.
Have a look through the criteria below. If you feel this describes you, and you are keen to take part, then please complete the online study registration form. Make sure you select 'Investigation of a dietary supplement for psychological health' from the drop down list.
Key eligibility criteria
- Access to a smartphone and willing to download a free application from the app store
- Able to access own email address
- Male or female individuals
- Aged between 18 and 56 years
- Body mass index ≥18.5 and ≤35 kg/m2 (we can calculate this for you)
- Have not experienced a previous adverse reaction to cellulose
- Not currently taking any of the following supplements:
- Supplements containing prebiotics or probiotics
- Fibre supplements (e.g., psyllium plant sterols, Metamucil, Benefibre)
- Not currently taking any of the following types of prescribed medications:
- Systemic steroids (e.g. prednisolone)
- Chronic drug therapy that interferes with vitamin D metabolism, such as glucocorticoids (e.g. dexamethasone)
- Not currently participating in psychological therapy with a mental health clinician (including, but not limited to: psychologist, counsellor, GP etc)
- Not currently doing nightshift work
- Do not have a significant acute or chronic illness (i.e., psychiatric, gastrointestinal, cardiovascular [except uncontrolled hypertension], endocrine or immunological)
- Have not experienced a cardiovascular event such as congestive heart failure, heart attack, stroke, or angina (chest pain) in the past 3 months
- Do not currently have, or have a history of, inflammatory bowel disease (e.g., ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease)
- Have not had previous brain, heart (e.g., coronary artery bypass surgery), or gastrointestinal surgery
- No current or planned hospitalisations that will take place during the study period
- No participation in a clinical study within the last month
- Willing to attend two visits at our clinic at SAHMRI, Adelaide CBD (Baseline and 6 weeks)
- Willing to consume the study supplement daily for a period of 6 weeks
- No history of smoking/vaping within the last 6 months
- Not currently pregnant or lactating
- Blood haematology and biochemistry test results within the normal reference range at screening
If you have any queries about this study or would like further information about participating do not hesitate to contact us, either by phone please call (08) 8305 0615 or email CRUstudies@csiro.au and we can assist.
This study has been approved by the CSIRO Health and Medical Research Human Research Ethics Committee.