Gold Kiwifruit trial
If you are interested in registering to participate in this study, please visit the participate in a study page and register your details by selecting Gold Kiwifruit trial from the dropdown menu. More information on the study can be found below.
About the study
Gold kiwifruit contains a range of micronutrients that contribute to health and wellbeing. Maintaining adequate levels of some these micronutrients has been associated with improved mood, feelings of vitality and bowel health.
This study will help examine if consuming gold kiwifruit daily can lead to improvements in mood, vitality and wellbeing in people who are experiencing current psychological distress.
Participation in the study involves attending the CSIRO clinic located on North Terrace in Adelaide on six occasions. Visits will be scheduled at fortnightly intervals and each visit will require a time commitment of approximately 60 minutes. At these visits you will be asked to complete some questionnaires and provide a blood sample.
The study is being partly funded by CSIRO industry partner, Zespri International Ltd. Zespri International Ltd are supplying the gold kiwifruit to be used in the study.
Who can participate in this study?
- male or female, 18-60 years of age inclusive at phone screen
- responses to test items on a questionnaire that assesses psychological wellbeing that identifies either a mild or moderate level of symptoms of psychological distress
- fluent in English and willing to provide written informed consent
- a current email address/service
- aversion and/or allergy/intolerance to kiwifruit and/or latex*
- needle phobia or fainting due to fear of needles*
- current smoker or vaper (i.e., no history of smoking, vaping or nicotine replacement therapy within the last six months prior to baseline)*
- taking vitamin C supplements within the last three months of the commencement date of the study and not willing to abstain for the duration of the study*
- consumption of gold kiwifruit within 14 days prior to baseline*
- not prepared to abstain from consumption of gold kiwifruit (other than study product) for the duration of the trial*
- currently enrolled in any other dietary intervention study
- previously enrolled in dietary intervention studies at CSIRO involving kiwifruit
- previous or current diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus or bleeding disorders (e.g., haemophilia)*
- previous or current diagnosis of iron deficiency*
- previous or current diagnosis of hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism*
- taking prescription medications or probiotics for the treatment and management of gastrointestinal disorders (e.g., Irritable Bowel Syndrome) within last three months of the commencement date of the study and not be willing to abstain for the duration of the study*
- initiation of, or alterations to, a course of anti-depressants, anti-anxiety or anti-psychotic medication within last 6 months from commencement date of the study*
*Inclusion/exclusion criteria will be assessed via self-report
Note – other eligibility criteria exist and will be assessed during study screening process.
More information about the study and what it involves can be found in the Participant Information Sheet. PDF (234 KB)
If you meet the eligibility criteria and are selected to participate in the study, you will be reimbursed a total of $240.00 if you attend all clinic visits.
If you choose to withdraw from the study at any time, you will be reimbursed (at a rate of $40.00 per visit) only for the visits you attend up to the date of your withdrawal. Reimbursement for participation in the study will occur after the completion of the final visit.
If you have any queries about this study or would like further information about participating do not hesitate to contact us. Please contact the Co-Principal Investigator Michael Billows by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (08) 8305 0675. Or email Principal Investigator Dr Ian Zajac at email@example.com (please mention in your email that you are enquiring about the kiwifruit study).
If you are interested in registering to participate in this study, please visit the participate in a study page and register your details by selecting Gold Kiwifruit trial from the dropdown menu.
This study has been approved by the CSIRO Human Research Ethics Committee.