What is it?
Hydrogen is stored at high pressures (approaching 800 bar) in steel or carbon fibre composite tanks via mechanical compression.
Why is it important?
Well established and commonly used storage technology; currently the standard storage method.
- Storage conditions: High pressure (350-800 bar), ambient temperature
- Established technology
- Simple compression process
- Ambient temperature storage
- Energy intensive process
- Low volumetric hydrogen density
- Develop higher efficiency compression technologies
Known active organisations
- Curtin University